Notices

Abstinence makes no sense

Old 10-23-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Abstinence makes no sense

...to me.

I won't knock anyone who is attempting abstinence or the AA model in their recovery.

But personally, I'd really like to try naltrexone. I'm just worried that a clinic doctor won't prescribe it, and will tell me to go to meeting instead.

Has anyone used naltrexone, and do y'all have any tips?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi

Abstinence made no sense to me - until I had no choice but to try it - now it's the drinking that makes no sense to me.

I tied myself in knots trying to keep something in my life that destroyed my relationships, several careers and my health.

I tried to stay drinking, even tho I was disastrously bad at it, for decades - if you ask me, *thats* nonsensical.

We promote abstinence based approaches here - mostly because those are the ones that work - not just AA, but things like SMART LifeRing and Rational Recovery too.

If you Google around you'll find methods that promise moderation with Naltrexone- but they're off topic here.

but hey...good luck

D
Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If drinking is causing you problems then abstinence seems like the #1 solution... at least to me.

People who can moderate don't go looking for resources on how to moderate.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if Naltrexone is commonly prescribed as a long-term maintenance therapy for alcohol abuse or not, presumably in your case/mind to induce a reduced desire to drink to excess while still going out for social drinking. For myself, I don't think I would be able to be compliant with such a regimen, because I drink with the aim in mind temporarily to blank out my problems that are not just part of alcohol use and would ultimately fail my sobriety and my mental health desires. There's just way too much history involved for me to even consider it, with the possibility of complete relapse being possible, too much risk.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On the contrary, Abstinence is the only way that makes sense. It's proven tried and tested successful method.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure why a dr wouldn't prescribe naltrexone to you unless you had some other underlying medical condition that would not be compatible.

I do know that it won't 'cure' you addiction. Usually it is prescribed once the person has quit drinking and is engaged in a robust treatment plan. I believe its primary function is to 'help' with cravings. I have known a few people who have taken the monthly shot for the first 9 months and I have heard it helps.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Abstinence was, is my last ditch effort for my alcoholism. Nothing else worked for me.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I think the point behind that pill is that you don't feel the effects of booze, so getting fall down drunk without being hammered will lead you to eventually stop drinking. I know I wouldn't have drunk if it didn't impair me. As far as I know, it's not to be used with the end goal of moderating use, but to be used as part of a program with the end goal of not drinking.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Abstinence makes no sense:

Until you have lost everything you have ever loved or enjoyed:

Relationships
Friends
Family
Career

Abstinence makes perfect sense:

When you are sick of the consequences of drinking:

Illness
Guilt
Shame
Regret

As an alcoholic with 30 + years experience, I can honestly say that I wish I would have given it up years ago.......

Best wishes on your journey
Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I totally agree with everything wildflower has said
best of luck x
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After being sober for a while, I found that it was drinking that made no sense.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
After being sober for a while, I found that it was drinking that made no sense.
One million percent, so true
Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Abstinence is hard in the beginning, but it was truly the only thing that made sense. My continued attempts at moderation were absolute insanity.

There are so many different paths to sobriety, and whichever one you choose I promise it's worth it.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I pretty much concur with what Frickaflip said.

I'm all for it if it helps people quit but am a bit dubious about it being used to moderate over the long term.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"Has anyone used naltrexone, and do y'all have any tips?"

Yes, don't drink.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoupAntifa View Post
...to me.

I won't knock anyone who is attempting abstinence or the AA model in their recovery.

But personally, I'd really like to try naltrexone. I'm just worried that a clinic doctor won't prescribe it, and will tell me to go to meeting instead.

Has anyone used naltrexone, and do y'all have any tips?
Basically it blocks the fun receptor in the brain so drinking alcohol is pointless. You might not like that conclusion.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Soup!

Glad you are here, and welcome you to SR

As you can see, we are a very supportive group but we are also a very honest group. I agree with everyone else here.

I too, initially was looking for something ...a pill...that would help my discomfort in my head and in my body and those first few weeks. Like you, I came here and asked about Naltrexone.

For me, I actually went to my doctor and she did NOT want to prescribe it. Nor Antabuse. she wanted me to go see a psychologist, and they would probably asked me to go to some AA meetings in person which I do not want to do because I just don’t think that is for me and my recovery.

For me, I thought ‘well this is stupid! Why should I go spend money and time when I should just stop drinking.’ I found that if I put half the effort into being sober that I put into drinking, that’s worth it and so far I have been successful.