Notices

That Dreaded Feeling

Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That Dreaded Feeling

Today I had a bad afternoon, not because of some catastrophe, just tired and feeling somewhat disappointed about not getting more done. I developed a case of the f*-its at the office and put down everything and just waited for the day to end.

As I stewed over this for a while, the negative thoughts I was having began to infect me with remembering what it was like to relax (forget) beyond my troubled feelings by drinking. This hasn't happened to me in a long time now, and it furthered my criticisms of myself for not responding well today. I understood that I was experiencing cravings.

So, I headed into the apartment to consider what I was going to do for the evening that wasn't going to mean picking up a drink. I went to the store and got the newspaper and a candy bar, came home and wrote to my folks that I wasn't going to be able to make my evening phone call, jumped into the shower, changed my clothes, and I made some dinner. I felt safe again, and still do.

I've made some plans for tomorrow to improve how I'm feeling about myself re: things that are bothering me. The amazing thing is how I seem to have forgotten how that dreaded feeling of wanting a drink can appear at any time. It has also reminded me to take a look at my safety plan and see if I need to make sure it's sound.

At any rate, I felt I needed to share my experience to help put it behind me.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The longer you're sober, the fewer thoughts of drinking you'll have.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can come out of nowhere, seemingly. But it does get better and easier and more rare. It sounds like you did good.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

c011: