Notices

Day 5: Only a handful of times in 13+ yrs

Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Goal #1: Day 30

Talking Day 5: Only a handful of times in 13+ yrs

Hi All,

I made it to Day 5. Woo hoo!! I know it doesn't seem like a lot but since giving up sobriety in 2005, there's only been a handful of times I made it to Day 5.

Yesterday, I almost gave in but I played the tape and chose not to buy a bottle of wine. I don't even know how I ended up on the wine aisle, staring at my favorite wine then pacing back and forth (like a weirdo! Lol) deciding if I should put it in my basket or keep walking. I guess buying wine is a habit so I need to be more on guard when grocery shopping.

Day 5 Observations:
My skin is already smoother; I've lost 5lbs; I have more energy running and am running at a faster pace; and I don't feel as bloated. I'm also not craving as much junk food as I was Day 1-Day 3 so I'm happy about that. I do have a bit of a headache but I know it'll go away soon.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. On to Day 6...

OH!!! I almost forgot! Tomorrow I have an interview for a job I've always wanted. I'm glad I'll be able to show up with a clear mind. I'm sure I'll make a better impression on management than if I was still drinking and feeling blah.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on five days. Glad you're noticing the improvements, it only gets better.
Good luck with the job interview. And not buying that wine and playing the tape.
Best to you.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Ghostlight!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you seekingadvice - good luck with the interview

D
Old 10-23-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How are you today?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Originally Posted by SeekingAdvice18 View Post

OH!!! I almost forgot! Tomorrow I have an interview for a job I've always wanted. I'm glad I'll be able to show up with a clear mind. I'm sure I'll make a better impression on management than if I was still drinking and feeling blah.
It makes such a difference when you feel fresh in mind and body.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
How are you today?
I'm feeling OK this morning but last night I started worrying, because I started thinking, "You can drink tomorrow night after the interview. Especially if you get the job! It'll be a celebration!!"

I know that's a lie but I'm worried about giving in. And, I'm also worried I've only made it to Day 6 because I had something to look forward to: the interview. If I don't have anything to look forward to that I consider important, I tend to only make it to Day 2 or 3.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Determine to remain alcohol-free minute by minute. Each minute is a new minute, and each day is a new day. Keep playing the tape. You will be able to resist the urge to drink in celebration: you've already seen through the lie and are already mentally warning yourself.

Best of luck with the interview!

Keep playing the tape and renewing your dedication minute by minute and you will get through victoriously.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, Gilmer! I'll definitely keep playing the tape... Especially because I don't have to work tomorrow.

A sober Day 7 is better than a hungover Day 1. I've had one too many of those... I deserve better!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Worst. Interview. Ever!! Clearly, being sober doesn't help...

I played the tape but I guess I didn't care b/c I'm drinking wine. Sorry!

I'm just not sure how to care about the consequences when they're not life-threatening. (I know that sounds bad). But, yes--I may feel like crap tomorrow but I don't have anything meaningful to look forward to so it's hard to stay sober.

At least I made it to Day 6.5
Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the bad interview and that you're drinking again.

It unfortunately sounds like you want to drink more than you want to be sober. I had suspicions when you said you were in the wine aisle looking at your favourite wine and mentioned thinking of drinking after the interview to celebrate. You still think of alcohol as a reward for something rather than a danger.

Sobriety will be an impossible challenge for you until you swap those around. Consequences may not seem life threatening now, but they will be eventually.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the job interview. I found posting to the daily support threads helpful for keeping me sober. Maybe give the October 2018 one a try.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
Sorry to hear about the bad interview and that you're drinking again.

It unfortunately sounds like you want to drink more than you want to be sober. I had suspicions when you said you were in the wine aisle looking at your favourite wine and mentioned thinking of drinking after the interview to celebrate. You still think of alcohol as a reward for something rather than a danger.

Sobriety will be an impossible challenge for you until you swap those around. Consequences may not seem life threatening now, but they will be eventually.
Completely agree with this
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
It unfortunately sounds like you want to drink more than you want to be sober. I had suspicions when you said you were in the wine aisle looking at your favourite wine .

I 100% agree. Maybe one day I'll be strong enough to resist like you and all of the other longtimers on this site. Until then, I'll just try my best.