Notices

Friday Temptation

Old 10-19-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Goal #1: Day 30

Friday Temptation

I woke up this morning with absolutely nooooo desire to drink, then 5:00 rolls around and I found myself resisting my typical Friday Wine Night.

So, instead of buying wine I went to the library, went for a walk, then did a little shopping. But, for some reason, I'm sooooooooo hungry so I just stuffed my face with a small pizza and some popcorn. I feel blah for not sticking to healthy eating but I guess it's better than drinking wine.

I'm not sure how long I can keep this up but for tonight, I will not be drinking. Onto Day 3...
Old 10-19-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to drink every Friday - now I don;t - thought never even occurs to me anymore.

You can keep it up for a long as you want - you call the shots, not some disembodied voice/desire in your head

D
Old 10-19-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah had a rough one myself - on Day 4 - went for a run but picked up a mild injury that's put paid to that activity for at least a week. Watched Netflix all night. Struggled to concentrate. Nights are hard, evenings even harder...
Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same thing happens to me when I am under 30 days. Mornings start out great but throughout the day the obsession to drink wears me down. My obsession to drink is kind of like one of the those football teams that run the ball and control the clock, my defense is gassed by the 4th quarter. I have a ton of willpower, I get through a lot of the days but willpower alone is only a prerequisite for long term sobriety.

Tonight was kind of close. I played the tape in my head. What's gonna happen and this is best case even: I'm gonna watch some short, stupid you tube vids because I won't have the attention span to do anything but slam high alcohol craft beer. Worst case, hell is the limit.

I was able to think it through clearly, I don't really need or want a drink.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink all day every day - but not anymore. Do whatever it takes to stay sober. It will get easier and if you stay sober, it will get better.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pizza and popcorn is so much better than wine. Take care of yourself in these early days, which definitely includes junk food. Healthy eating will come along soon enough.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on doing anything BUT drink! Like others said- the good eating and the exercise and all kinds of stuff came for me with time. Just staying sober was the single most important thing to make the cardinal rule of my life.

Lots of support here, and IRL if you're like me and want and need that too. Stick with us!
Old 10-20-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey I to drank every Friday ( actually a bottle of wine every night but Friday an Sat evening I really went hard on it ..I know how you feel come Friday I was literally gasping for my wine ..I stuffed myself with sweets chocolate whatever ..whatever it took to stay away from wine ...it wasn't easy ...but I have to tell you it really DOES get easier ...please believe me keep doing what your doing ..I'm coming up on 10 months sobriety an wine hardly ever enters my mind ...only to be disgusted how much I drank of it an how I wished I'd done this year's ago ..hang In there your doing great ...
cara
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How are you this morning, Seeking Advice?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

There is a weekly thread dedicated to getting everyone through the weekend sober.
It's called the weekender.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

photo-2.jpg
Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! My Friday wasn't as boring as I thought it'd be. When I was on my way home (after deciding not to get wine) my AV told me I was going to be bored but I wasn't. I just caught up on some shows and read SR. Before I knew it it was 11pm and I went to sleep.

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
How are you this morning, Seeking Advice?
I'm feeling ok. I slept in a bit and am glad I don't have a hangover, but my face is puffy from the pizza and icecream I had last night. For some reason, I can't eat a lot of dairy anymore so it's hard for me to give up both: junk food and wine. (In the past, it's usually been one or the other). But, I guess it's a good thing because I've been wanting to tone up and lose weight.

Right now, I'm about to go make coffee. Who knows what I'll do today (...besides not drink! ).

Day 3!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm finishing up Day 3!

As usual, around 5:00 I started to get bored so I literally told myself, out loud: STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING BORED!! IF YOU'RE BORED, DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT!! ........... Lol, that was me giving myself a pep talk and it worked. I made myself go for a run
and on my way to the park (only 5 mins away), I decided to make a U-turn and drive 30 mins downtown.

We have a huge park downtown and it was nice to be around a little 'action'. I ran around the park and a bunch of shops and restaurants downtown. A lot of people were outside drinking but it was nice to notice I was making a healthy choice and working on my fitness. One table yelled, "Want a shot to keep you going!???" I just laughed and said, "No thank you but can join me!"

Onto Day 4...
Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Seeking Advice

D
Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's so huge SeekingAdvice!!

Great job, my friend. As others have said- it does get easier. And every time you make the conscious choice NOT to drink, you get stronger and stronger. You're doing amazing!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you D and GotMyBackPack!

I usually give in on Day 3 so I'm happy I'm making it to Day 4. That said, it's officially Day 4 because it's 12:40am in my neck of the woods. I haven't been up this late, sober, in 15+ years (aka late night college cramming sessions).

This is usually why I avoid evening runs... I end up with too much energy at night; can't fall asleep; and end up waking up later in the morning. BUT, it's better than drinking so I'll deal with it.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love what you said to the people who offered you a shot. Great stuff! Four days is stellar. Keep it up, it gets even better. There are so many things I do now that I never did while drinking or when I was a person who drank. It really is amazing, bit by tiny bit, day by day, when you choose not to drink and don’t back off of that boundary even once. You’ll have bad days and boring days like any human will (I had one yesterday) but over time the evolution is really a beautiful thing.