Notices

Struggling

Old 10-19-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Today is day 8. My longest sober stretch in 6 years. I feel really good physically. I fell asleep easily the last 2 nights and stayed asleep until my alarm went off. I feel like a normal person. Like the kind of normal person that can drink on the weekends and then be a sober productive person all week.

It's my weekend. I knew 100% this morning that I was going to make it through my second weekend sober. I'm about 70% sure now. The AV is strong, I hope I am stronger.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 8! I am sure, you can make it through a second week of sobriety. And many more!

Try and keep busy with things you like that won't trigger you. And make sure you're well hydrated, eat enough, get good sleep. That always helps when the AV gets strong. And of course to remember all the good reasons why you quit!

Sending much support to you!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Make a plan that will keep you busy this weekend and try to plan things that are not on your usual weekend plan. Congratulations on Day 8!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no need to hope you're stronger - you are
The AV has no arms or legs - it needs you to get on board to get what it wants.

Say no.
Revel in saying no.

You've got this

D
Old 10-19-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is not an easy thing to do. I feel your pain. I can't believe I have made it this long. Early in recovery I remember how hard it was. I think that helps me when I have brief thoughts of going back cause I never want to go through that again. It is so worth it once I got past the first six weeks or so. Please hang in there, stay close to SR! Read and post as much as it takes! We need you as much as you need us! Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

One day at a time. What's your game plan for this one day?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Giggler,

Earlier tonight I was remembering how the weekends (early in my sobriety) used to be something that required endurance. It was a challenge at times. But now the sobriety of a weekend is savored. Sincerely a real treasure. You can get through, and it will be worth it. Changing my weekend routine was critically important.

Congratulations on your great 8!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll get thru it sober if you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like others said, you CAN do this! And definitely make plans - even if they are sort of "non plans" like do the laundry, watch xyz yet again on Netflix, read, go for a walk, anything that takes up your attention for increments at a time til the day is done, then the next....

IRL support is crucial to me and I started AA when I quit drinking. At first, meetings were something I just did, and the whole process of getting to one, sitting in one and getting home took up a decent chunk of time per outing. Naps were (still are, honestly!) big for me. Reading when I could start to concentrate....

Try looking at the Class of October 2018 thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-18.html

Make the plan not to drink, and start learning ways to make that happen - stick with us!

Last edited by Dee74; 10-19-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I drank. I need a weekend plan.

I'm terrified of AA. My mother used to take me to weight watcher's meetings in church basements in the early 2000's. I imagine that's what it will be like, but worse.

I'm sorry.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Giggler, sorry to hear that but glad you told us. That's brave. We are glad you did.

Perhaps calling the local AA line and seeing if someone will get you to go to a meeting? Or meet you outside? That might sound awkward but people are happy to do it and it's a way that a lot of folks can get that start they want but hesitate to do.

What are your plans today? Just not drinking can be the one thing you accomplish by bedtime- and that is more than enough.

You can do this.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like the kind of normal person that can drink on the weekends and then be a sober productive person all week.
...only we aren't that kind of "normal" person.

I think it's really important to own the problem.

I don't drink like normal people and I am guessing you don't either.

If I did, I wouldn't have Googled, "How much is too much alcohol," and I would never have typed the words, "Sobriety Forum," into my search bar. I knew when I came here, and I think you do, too.

One drink is too many so I stay away from that first drink.

If I could drink like a normal person, I would have done that - believe me, I tried every moderate-drinking trick out there.

Only drink on the weekend.
Only drink on Friday and Saturday.
Only drink wine.
Only have two. (hahahahahahahahahha)
Keep track of how many I've had. (This one works until I get to about three, then all bets are off.)
Drink only after dinner.

Yeah. If I don't pick up that first drink, the problem is gone. My experience showed me over and over that it is the only solution.

I agree with August. Go to bed sober tonight. I never wake up the next morning wishing I had drank, ever.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

A recovery action plan is a great thing to have

I tried to not do much beyond just not drinking...but sooner or later an opportunity or temptation presented itself & I was defenseless...

I needed to be ready for those situations.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html