Ugh...the SMELL!

Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh...the SMELL!

I was reading the “Things Normies Wouldn’t Know” thread and one thing just kept coming up that resonated with me....the smell of an alcoholic.
i have a very sensitive sense of smell and I absolutely HATED it!!! Even just thinking about it that phantom smell comes up and all of the emotions that go with it. Fortunately I am in a place in my recovery that I can recognize those emotions without “feeling” them.
I swear that is one of the most disgusting scents for me.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience this summer has turned me off alcohol and I used to like it. Probably a good thing. The smell, look and lies it promises are hyper evident to me. Not to mention the wasted days of hangovers.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you! Does it bother you to smell it in general, or just on other people? Does the smell of an empty beer can bother you, or just alcohol on someone's breath?

I picked my RAH from his AA meeting recently. He was telling me there were three new people there who had been sober anywhere from 2 days, to a few weeks. Driving home I kept rolling the windows down, I could swear I smelled alcohol! I figured it was just my imagination.

I asked my husband if the new people sat next to him. He said one sat next to him, the other two sat across from him. You know how you can smell the alcohol coming from the pores of an alcoholic? My nose is now THAT sensitive to alcohol, I can smell it on other people sitting next to someone. My nose is now hypersensitive, I hate that smell!
Old 10-19-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep I know that smell, opening the bedroom door in the morning and the combination of stale beer and apples rotting under a tree on a hot fall day. ( good ol jack daniels). It truly does make one a bit queasy.

i Have smelled that smell in the grocery store, and immediately I am on the look out for the ex.

Yet I can change a soiled diaper and not bat an eye....
Old 10-19-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don’t have a problem with empty cans or bottles, although I am still hyper aware of it. The smell oozing from their pores bugs me the most, but the breath is a gigantic turnoff as well. I just want to slink away or slap the crap off of them, although I have much better self control and dignity to do either.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I forgot about the breath part. I just lump it all together. Sometimes I want to slap them too, I barely have enough self-control to keep from doing it! It would make me feel better though 😯QUOTE=Mellybug;7037082]
I don’t have a problem with empty cans or bottles, although I am still hyper aware of it. The smell oozing from their pores bugs me the most, but the breath is a gigantic turnoff as well. I just want to slink away or slap the crap off of them, although I have much better self control and dignity to do either.
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-20-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know this a crazy thing to say, but because I too have a very sensitive nose, I knew I couldn't live with it anymore. The stench that seeped out of his pores was unbearable and undeniable, if my brain didn't know he was drinking my nose did. I still to this day wonder how many people can smell it on him as I can smell it on others as well. The smell more than anything triggers PTSD for me.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
I know this a crazy thing to say, but because I too have a very sensitive nose, I knew I couldn't live with it anymore. The stench that seeped out of his pores was unbearable and undeniable, if my brain didn't know he was drinking my nose did. I still to this day wonder how many people can smell it on him as I can smell it on others as well. The smell more than anything triggers PTSD for me.
YES!!! All of this, yes. I wonder sometimes if the people at his new job can smell it. I came out of a store yesterday and he was parked next to my car - he just stopped to say hi since he had his kids with him and I haven’t seen them in 3 months. They wanted to say hi. When I walked by him in the driver seat to talk to them I smelled it coming out of the window. My stomach lurched! I also saw his eyes were really bloodshot, too.
I am almost as disgusted with myself as I am with him for even dating him as long as I did (9 months). I can’t believe I once had such strong feelings for him...he turns my stomach now.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh I had a near panic attack on a boat last summer - one of the guys drank lots of homemade moonshine - and probably a lot of something else before that - he was trashed

Also smelled in on a guy with quite ruddy completion in parenting class for divorcing parents - his GF was hanging all over him during class - I kept hoping instructor would address it - nope

Traumatic indeed
Old 10-23-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny (kind of) story. The ex called me today and I usually just decline the call. Today something told me to pick up and I did. He proceeds to tell me a story about what happened to him today at his new job. Someone went to HR complaining that he smelled like alcohol. He was taken immediately to HR who insisted they go for alcohol testing at the local Redi-med location. He passed the breathalyzer with a 0.0, but he says it made him realize that I was right all along - it does come out of his pores after he’s been drinking!
He says it made him realize he has to quit or jeopardize his new job, and he is pissed that someone didn’t “mind their own business”. But he knows he’s been “marked” and they’ll be watching him.
Hey, whatever works, I guess.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AW smells like a wine bottle every morning, and even after brushing her teeth. Then again, she probably still has booze in her system when she wakes at 3AM and finishes off the wine she couldn't get to before she passed out! Somedays it sticks with her almost the entire day. YUCK!!!