Supportive friends

Old 10-19-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supportive friends

I left my XABF a few months ago and went no-contact for a while. Before going no-contact I afforded him many opportunities to get his bed frame he had left at my place and some things out of my storage unit but he never did. During a text conversation when I told him (again) I was done and I wasn’t coming back he angrily texted me to throw his stuff away - he didn’t need it. I didn’t toss anything because it didn’t feel right (but I saved the text) and went no-contact.

Fast forward to yesterday - we had been in contact again for a couple of weeks because I had to tell him to change his address again. Every evening the texts were the same: why couldn’t I just love him and give him a chance? I’m exhausted from it. A couple of friends of mine were over and suggested I put the bed frame outside and tell him to come get it or it was going to the curb on trash pick up on Tuesday. I was gobsmacked that I hadn’t just thought of this myself!! They even helped me take it downstairs and leaned it up against the garage.

When the ex texted me again last night (I knew he would) I told him where it was and to pick it up. I would not be seeing him and not to bother asking or trying. At first he was mature about it, but he had to have been drinking because within an hour I started getting texts waffling between begging me to give him another chance and being nasty. I calmly reminded him to pick up his bed frame, told him definitively that I had ZERO inclination to get back together, and I would not tolerate his disrespect of my boundaries (contacting me when he’s been drinking). I told him he was now going to be blocked again - and before I could hit send he sent another message blaming me for keeping him up late and that it put his new job in jeopardy! Yep - blocked.

Long story short - my friends changed how they approached the situation with me last night and it was wonderful! Previously they had just taken a position of being verbally supportive but “minding their own business”. Yesterday they helped me come up with a solution to my biggest problem and helped me implement it!

I am so grateful - to them, to you, to the block feature on my phone...LOL!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mellybug…..I am glad that you, finally, got this issue settled!
Can you explain this, though...As I recall, you got several concrete suggestion as to what to do with the stuff, from us, here, on SR. Why did those suggestions not have the same effect?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Mellybug,

Congrats!

Dandy,

For me, I wasn't ready until I was ready. I was afraid of many things. The alcoholic. His reactions. Of not being "fair". I wanted to be kind. I wanted to not make waves. I wanted to do the right thing.

I'm also finding the modeling of behaviors in person has a great influence. The friends my husband and I used to have didn't understand what I was dealing with and the "normalizing" of his behavior had a great influence on me.

Al-anon made a big difference because of the in-person support. Support online combined with support in person can be powerful.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Happy Monday, Mellybug.

How are you doing today?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m doing fantastic today, thank you! He finally came and picked up his stuff yesterday and I just happened to be at the grocery store and didn’t have to see him! He texted me later to say he hung around for a bit to see if I would come home but he finally left.
Now I can go no-contact free and clear and not have to worry about it again!!!
yay!!! I feel so free!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good