Notices

Normal Anxiety

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Normal Anxiety

I'm feeling anxious because I screwed up something at work that I should not have done, despite some directions that would have prevented it if I had followed through. My bad. I have to speak to my boss about it tomorrow, before the weekend, to get the issue on the table and to see what, if anything, we are going to do about it.

I'm trying not to beat myself up over it, we all make mistakes. As a perfectionist (!) I tend to internalize even little things that I feel are my fault and beat myself up over it. I know that I shouldn't do that, and I have to accept responsibility for my actions and move on from here. It's just hard, and I feel a bit down.

Talked about it with my parents, and I got positive, rational feedback. But since I have few friends I thought I needed to speak about it here, as it's not something that I alone do. What I'm happy about is that I have identified my feelings as something I need to cope with in a healthy way. No desire to drink. When hard things come our way in dealing with mental illness and substance abuse, it's just always a bit more risky.

I'll hopefully feel better after tomorrow's working through this with my boss, and even if there are unpleasant consequences I want to maintain my sobriety.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope speaking with your boss tomorrow will set your mind at ease Guener

D
Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I am struggling with anxiety much more than normal lately, the effects of three jobs and trying to keep up with so many forms of communication coming in from my coworkers. I realize it's that I'm internalizing though, I'm not talking to people like I need to about this and I'm not asking for help.

I'll be interested to hear how the meeting with your boss goes if you'd like to share, and I wish you the best.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, my meeting with my boss is going to have to wait until next Monday, because he went out of town last minute. I took some time to look at all the facts, and to gather more information and one possible solution. So, I left today feeling better but still carrying that itch in the back of my mind of something unresolved. Thinking back to how I used to handle something like this, I became somewhat uncomfortable bringing up the past and thinking about the alcoholic's response both in action and in a desire for instant gratification of a problem.