Al-Anon etiquette question

Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-Anon etiquette question

Hi everyone,

This is by far not the most serious question on the boards today, but is more of an etiquette WWYD:

There's a small independent business near my workplace that I really like (consignment vintage clothes and decorative items at good prices). Recently it had a sign in the window saying it was moving. It has a new location just a few blocks from my home. I'm happy because I like shopping local when possible, and this place is quite cool.

From the store blog, I realized that the owner is a person in the AlAnon group I attend (based on photo and first name). I'd like to say to her "hey, I love your store, great to see your new location in the n'hood", but I don't know if that would be going against anonymity.

(FWIW my daughter has babysat for this person's kids, so I've been to her home, met her kids and partner, etc).

What do you think? I'd like to pass on my good feelings about her business but don't want to make things awkward.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'd send well wishes outside of the Al-anon group. Keep it simple, just as you could do if you didn't know her from Al-anon.

A card with a note dropped off at the business could be a beautiful connection.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, keep those two areas of life compartmentalized don’t mix them together. If you see her at al-anon keep it just al-anon stuff and if you see her at her new location keep it about her business and a welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^^^ That totally makes sense. Will do. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Funny isn't it..? The late Mr. Seren and I would run into someone from Al-Anon on the campus where he worked. One day, I had to run some papers over to this person's department on campus.

We greeted each other as if we had known each other for some time, and just passed it off as having met on campus because we kept running into one another along the same walking path each day. Which wasn't false, but allowed us to "know" one another without bringing up Al-Anon.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I once ran into a lady from my Al-Anon group at a swimming pool when my best friend and I were swimming laps. I walked right over to her and said hello, and introduced my best friend to her as another friend of mine. When introducing people to each other we don’t always have to explain where we know them from.
My two friends hit it off, found something they have in common and the conversation flowed naturally. I’m sure your local business owner would appreciate hearing your support and love of their business! It doesn’t matter where you two first met - people love hearing positivity and support!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's fine to acknowledge her under certain circumstances...

One of them is that nobody else is around so you maintain her anonymity.

When I run into people in public, or learn anything new about them in any way, I make sure to only reveal our connection if it's just the two of us. The key is maintaining anonymity.

I once ran into a woman from high school in a meeting and it was clear from her body language and facial expression she did not want me to acknowledge her. And, if I were wrong about that, I figured she'd say something to me (she didn't).

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Hi everyone,

This is by far not the most serious question on the boards today, but is more of an etiquette WWYD:

There's a small independent business near my workplace that I really like (consignment vintage clothes and decorative items at good prices). Recently it had a sign in the window saying it was moving. It has a new location just a few blocks from my home. I'm happy because I like shopping local when possible, and this place is quite cool.

From the store blog, I realized that the owner is a person in the AlAnon group I attend (based on photo and first name). I'd like to say to her "hey, I love your store, great to see your new location in the n'hood", but I don't know if that would be going against anonymity.

(FWIW my daughter has babysat for this person's kids, so I've been to her home, met her kids and partner, etc).

What do you think? I'd like to pass on my good feelings about her business but don't want to make things awkward.