Notices

My Introduction

Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Introduction

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site but have been in recovery since 2015. My journey into recovery has involved a variety of inputs, including medical detox from alcohol, inpatient time, outpatient care, individual and group therapy, AA, and a lot of self-discovery. Along the way I have experienced minor lapses and more significant relapse a time or two. I last took a drink five months ago but drank very heavily (daily) for 35 years, and I have been through all the mishaps that befall the alcoholic.

I would be remiss not to mention that I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder. I take two medications for my depression that have helped me a lot to feel better and to stay sober longer. I stay away from the benzos as any medical intervention for the anxiety but use Cognitive Behavorial Therapy techniques to manage it fairly well, sometimes really well. As I mentioned, I have had therapy with that includes substance abstention as a primary goal. Overall, I have been feeling very well over the past months.

I also have Crohn's Disease that has caused me some physical and mental stress for over twenty years.

I come to you as a person seeking strength in solidarity and to share my experiences, to learn from others, and to continue my recovery the best that I can. I am open to helpful criticism and am empathetic toward others. Perhaps I can add a little something to this community.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Guener - it's wonderful to have you join us.

Congratulations on your sobriety. I, too, drank for over 30 yrs. SoberRecovery has been an important part of my new life. Checking in here every day has made all the difference - I know I'm never alone. I hope you'll enjoy spending time with us.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You already have added something to the community. I can totally relate to your post.
We drank about the same amount of years. And have some mental health issues.
Congratulations on five months. That's great.
Glad you are here, and post away.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can absolutely add value and strength to this community! You will find a lot of support also from compassionate non judgmental people
Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome!

Awesome about 5 months!

This is a wonderful place to be for exactly what you were looking for . I’m still learning and exploring new places on here after four months.

One of the things I wish someone would’ve told me right away was that if you are on your iPhone you can scroll all the way down and press “use desktop version”.

There’s all kinds of things you can see from your phone when you use that version. I hope that helps and I look forward to hearing from you
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on five months sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you to all for the warm welcome. Lately I have come to remember that I cannot maintain my sobriety without interaction with others who have been through what I know and are working to live in a better way. Living alone, I realize that I'm susceptible to isolation, and that's not good for me. Having just started life in a new, small town a couple years ago and a new job just four months in, I have few connections locally who share my experiences. Attending to my mental and physical health needs to be a constant refrain of positive activities that includes being here.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you've found a great place for inspiration and support.

Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Guener and congrats on 5 months. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome Guener!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very glad to welcome you aboard Guener

D
Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Guener, nice to have you with us