Notices

day 2. back at it.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2. back at it.

hey guys,

it's been a few months since i posted but you guessed it. same old story.

one night of drinking with my buddy in late january broke my 97 day streak, then the next week i had relapsed on weed (my true DOC) and boom. it's October again and i haven't been sober more than a few days this summer. i would have had a year next week if i'd had stuck to it.

i've been smoking weed almost daily, half a pack of ciggs, drinking on the weekends, and even a little powder thrown in.

what the **** is wrong with me? i never seem to learn.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Many of us can relate to thinking we can have a beer or two and then end up losing weeks or months or even years after having had some sober time.

Nothing is inherently wrong with you. Your reward system is a little out of balance because of your addictions. Take it day by day, post here whenever you need to, and you will see your potential return.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Readytochange. I can relate to a relapse after significant sober time. I was almost 4 months. I was devastated giving up all that sober time and having to start from Day 1. Another 4 months seemed eons away. The only thing I could do was take one sober day at a time. Today I have 157 days. Dust yourself off, keep remembering how awful you feel and take it one day at a time. You can do this. I'm rooting for you.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the problem is i'm not sure what to do with my life either.

almost 26 years old. my mom has wanted me gone for years. i just quit my job. have an offer on the table but not sure about going back to that industry. rents are high in the city, not even sure where i'd want to live.

its been a horrible day. the only positive is that i'm sober. i was close to giving in earlier but i can't take any more.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Readyt0Change There nothing wrong with you thats not wrong with the rest of us

I kept going back to drink & weed because I didn't want to give them up entirely, I wanted to be like other people I saw who drank and smoked and it never seemed to affect their life adversely.

I had to accept I was different to those people. I was a slave to my desires and my addiction slowly but surely ate away at all the other parts of my life.

The only way to live the life I wanted - a free life and a life where I had dreams and could achieve them - was to not drink smoke snort or pill pop at all.

D
Old 10-15-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can create a happy sober life for yourself. It takes some effort but is worth it.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you guys. i'm fighting.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Readyt0

Glad you are here. That’s almost 48 hours!

Take a shower, take a walk, play game on your phone or computer if you have one

Anything… Anything… To get past that 10 to 15 minute urge. Remember, it passes.

Welcome !
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readyt0change View Post
thank you guys. i'm fighting.
Keep fighting man, its worth fighting for. What really helped me is I finally decided (at 47) I wanted a better life for me. It sounds like that is what you want too. You are so young.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ReadyToChange, it's natural to feel upset, anger, disbelief or grief, at having a lapse, but it doesn't make you into a failure at all. Try not to judge yourself on what has happened, it's not a healthy path, we know. Re-engaging in sobriety is a difficult time, when our memories can be faulty, our minds are telling us the wrong things, and when we may feel unworthy of the required effort. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you for the support guys. i will stick with it.

made it thru last night. day 3 today.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you today?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey free, thanks for asking.

still sober. have an intake at a sober house next week. working a shift today and tomorrow but after that i think i will take some time off work to heal.

i have a job offer already to sell cars but i think i'd like to do something else. (i worked there previously for 3 months)

experiencing headaches. super irritable. angry at others, angry at myself, picking fights in my head.

haven't had a cigarette since sunday. (car sales the last few months really got me into smoking half a pack a day, another reason i don't want to go back) otherwise not much withdrawal.

i'm committed to changing my life. i can't live this way anymore.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great sober weekend readyt0change

D
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi. I hope you had a good weekend. Wondering if stopping smoking and stopping drinking might be too much at the same time, or maybe not. I found giving myself a lot of slack at the beginning of my alcohol abstinence served me well.

I quit smoking several years ago, and waited about 30 years to quit alcohol. So my last cigarette was Halloween 1987 at 5:23 PM. So that’ll be 31 years coming up soon nicotine free!!

You got this Readyt0❤️