Notices

My Bloomin' Nose!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Bloomin' Nose!

Okay, I know this isn't a Newcomer issue, but we all know this is where the traffic is, and I would really like some feedback on this:

I'm male, 57, and finally quit drinking for good 19 months ago (St. Patrick's Day 2017 to be precise; a round of green tea on me!) after a life-long battle of rehabs and relapses and heavy vodka abuse. A few years back, I noticed the faint beginnings of red veins appearing on my nose, a fairly common "symptom" of massive alcohol consumption; we've all seen that look on a really "bad" alcoholic. It was just another one of many good reasons to quit, albeit a fairly minor one based entirely on my appearance.

Well, it's not going away; in fact, I'm pretty sure that it's slowly getting more pronounced. So I'm struck by the irony of looking more alcoholic the longer I'm sober! I guess by the time that "symptom" begins to appear, we're quite far along in the pickling process, so I'm not surprised that it didn't suddenly clear up because I quit drinking. I'm just now wrapping my head around the possibility that I could look like Karl Malden in a few years, even while finally living completely free from alcohol addiction!

At first I was pretty upset; I'm not a vain person, but that "look" always just screamed "really bad drunk" to me when I'd see it on other people, and I'm not terribly happy with the thought of sporting it for the rest of my sober life. And maybe it fades away eventually. But for now, it's a vivid, technicolor reminder every time I look in the mirror of how booze damn near killed me, and the damage it did to my body. Whether it's permanent remains to be seen...by everyone who sees me!

So any oldtimers with stories to share about this? And plus also (as Cow would say,) a word of warning to all you youngsters -- quit drinking now, before your face falls off!

That is all,
Arp
Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

19 months sober is a real good start to your
recovery journey. It's never too late to begin
taking care of yourself, mentally, physically,
emotionally, spiritually. Years of alcohol abuse
does take its toll on our minds, bodies and souls.

We put drinking first for so many years and
now that we put the bottle down and have
picked up a continuous program of recovery
in it's place, which is a heck of a lot healthier
for us, you can now begin learning new ways
to improve your appearance outside as well
as your insides.

With exercises for your physical appearance,
proper eating can clear up skin problems, keeping
our insides ticking right. A program of recovery
incorporated in our everyday affairs to maintain
sobriety. You will begin seeing positive results in
time.

The more footwork we do on ourselves will
result in achieving many amazing gifts in life
and recovery.

Be kind to yourself and continue listening,
learning, absorbing and applying healthy way
in bettering yourself inside and out.

Oh, I do love Carl Malden paired with Betty
Davis in many of those wonderful movies from
the past.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Apeggioh

That was one thing I've never had - maybe its worth seeing a dermatologist?

D
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee I'm sure there is a condition that does that to noses I can't remember what it's called x
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spider veins like that can be corrected with laser treatments. down here we have Med Spas for that type of thing. Maybe you could look into that.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

I have a little of this. It's often connected with a skin condition called rosacea that's very common, and although it's often associated with heavy drinking it doesn't have to be.

It's not great, but honestly of all the horrible things alcohol did to my mind and body, the toll it took on my veiny nose and general complexion is pretty far down the list, I'd say! It's like that song by Bob Dylan's son, sometimes you gotta drive it home with one headlight.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it’s better to focus on the 19 months sober. I mean that’s a huge accomplishment!!! I don’t think the nose lines are a big deal. I know some people even get the veins from skin issues. Would some sun help? Maybe to canafloug them? Concealour? Not sure just throwing that out there. Congrats on the sobriety! Focus on what’s important.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mother isn't a drinker but after 40 that happened to her nose. It was rosacea and she was able to get laser therapy to make it less "technicolor".

Congratulations on 19 months, way to go!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, y'all...never occurred to me that it could be caused by anything but drinking, so that makes me feel better. Like I said, I'm not terribly vain, so a little discoloration is certainly better than a throbbing liver. (Not to mention being better than dead!)
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Alice. Laser. It’s cosmetic so cash payments in US about 2-3 treatments per area around $500 each time.

I am going to get it for my one year anniversary.

Congrats on your recovery!!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't get facials because I'm a man's man..ok..I get regular facials..don't laugh at me. I was watching the NY giants game with my esthetician and her friends a few years back and she mentioned the coach having rosacea..I just thought he was cold? LOL But..they also have over the counter treatments you could try.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds like rosacea to me. It is common in folks with a Northern European ancestry (occasionally called the Celtic Curse) but can actually occur in those of African descent. It can evolve into what is called a “strawberry” nose — bright purple-red and misshapen. Drinking makes it worse but doesn’t cause it, I’m told. Exposure to the sun and spicy foods also exacerbate the problem. A dermatologist can give you good advice on how to deal with it. My father had a severe case of “the nose”, so far, in my 80’s I’ve avoided it.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Karl Malden would be a case in point regarding booze nose as he lived to 97 and was married for 71 years which doesn't suggest extended heavy drinking.

Anyway, to answer your question. Foundation. That is all.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The mention in here about laser treatments are the fix. 2 of my children have had it done for cherry angioma, and i had an arm tattoo removed with it.
Feels like an elastic snapping on your skin. Shockingly effective if done by a professional with the right laser setting. Some letters involved, not sure... but don't go for the cheap infrared type stuff.
If it bothers you, get the pros to do it at a professional place... pay the price, bite the bullet and voila.. you never have to worry about rosacea ever again.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rosacea..... somethings can aggravate it...alcohol is one of them, spicy food, sun, ect. It’s worth seeing a dermatologist
Old 10-17-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rosacea, highly treatable. The sun can wreak havoc on your face and cause it to flair up. Use an SPF cream in the mornings after you shave. Get a cover stick (makeup) to match your skin color. Don't laugh, men are now getting smarter about taking care of their skin, nails, toes and such. Be one of them. Oh, and a ten-x magnifying mirror is a suggestion when you dab, and blend - it should minimize some of the red.

We, who are of Irish/Scot/English descent (and/or who are freckled, red haired) are very much prone to having this. I spent my whole life outdoors riding horses and paid the price with getting sun damage before I got smart and started wearing a hat and SPF protection.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I found that allergies/sensitivities to a variety of substances was contributing to redness/facial “spider veins”. While things improved greatly after eliminating alcohol, I also had to modify my diet, environment, and exposure to chemicals in personal care products to relieve eczema, chronic redness, and allergies. An ENT and allergy testing was where I started, and it’s something I have to monitor.

Dr. Dray on youtube is a dermatologist with some great information on this topic.
-bora
Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi arp, I know what you mean! I’m 52 and have been sober around the same time as you. I’ve always had rosacea but it was made way worse by alcoholism. It didnt go away on its own after quitting drinking and practicing very healthy living (though it did get better). The eye bags did go away. I had a series of laser treatments with my derm and it has done wonders. I almost look like a teenager again (without the acne) . I highly recommend it.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Anyway, to answer your question. Foundation. That is all.
Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
Get a cover stick (makeup) to match your skin color. Don't laugh, men are now getting smarter about taking care of their skin, nails, toes and such. Be one of them.
Maybe effeminate generation Z males are using foundation, but not many middle-age+ dudes want to be caught wearing cosmetics; that would be worse than a "boozer nose." Live with it or see a derm, imo.