Husband must leave

Old 10-11-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband must leave

I have been trying to support my alcoholic husband for over 9 years. It was in rehab the summer numerous slips. He has lost his job and our financial situation is horrible. I am now breadwinner. I can no longer be up and the household this mail. I know but I am completely powerless is alcoholism. I cannot for him and being here does not seem to be helping his recovery. I don't know how to get him out.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good morning, DebA1,

Welcome to SR!! I'm sorry for the reasons you had to find us, but glad you're here.

I've never been in exactly your situation, but I think it would be wise to try to contact an attorney and find out what are your options. Regardless of what you decide to do, you will be able to make an informed decision.

Others will be along soon to share from their own experiences....welcome again!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Deb,

Have you been to Al-anon yet?

https://www.al-anon.org/

Getting support for ourselves is important. Welcome to SR. This is a good place to be.

If your husband won't leave, it may come down to you leaving or finding a legal way to evict him.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DebA1 View Post
I have been trying to support my alcoholic husband for over 9 years. It was in rehab the summer numerous slips. He has lost his job and our financial situation is horrible. I am now breadwinner. I can no longer be up and the household this mail. I know but I am completely powerless is alcoholism. I cannot for him and being here does not seem to be helping his recovery. I don't know how to get him out.
Hi Deb and welcome,

Have you consulted a lawyer at all? Some will give free initial consultations and you may want to go and see a few to see what your legal options are, as Seren mentioned. That's a good place to start.

Have you asked him to leave or spoken about divorce or separation already?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Would it be easier if you left? Do you both own the house? Unless you are paying for it, which you may be as the breadwinner it may be an option for you to move or just sell it and go your separate ways.