Notices

Need to stop this craving...

Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop this craving...

I知 at work and I get out in 3 hrs.. I want to drink. I知 irritated and want the feeling of peace the first couple drinks provide...

But if I do it I risk everything. Ill wake up in the morning with panic attacks in the very least.

Last time I posted I mentioned a potential baby and many of you suggested to wait.. but that potential baby isn稚 potential anymore it is due in May..

I知 needed more than ever right now for support and closer to May we will be relying only on my job for awhile..

I know all this yet all I can think about is beer..
Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

When I get the 3pm craving I play the tape on the future consequences of my drinking. I then do five minutes of deep breathing/meditation, and tell myself, “the craving is not me, it’s my lizard brain alcoholic voice talking.” I chug a glass of water and eat something usually fatty and filling. Does the trick many times for me.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

At this point, it's not about you. It's about the baby you are carrying who is depending on you, every single day, to care for it. You have the most important job in the world right now, and that's being a mother. Take care of yourself and your unborn baby.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like Pinnacle mentioned, eat something filling. That always kills a craving for me. I don't like drinking on a full stomach because the beer just gets soaked up by the food and I feel bloated. I do this for the particularly strong cravings when I am out in the city and walking by bars and liquor stores. As unhealthy as McDonald's is, much worse is the liquor store next door so I choose the lesser evil. These alcohol cravings always come out of the blue so I have to do whatever I can to distract myself
Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
At this point, it's not about you. It's about the baby you are carrying who is depending on you, every single day, to care for it. You have the most important job in the world right now, and that's being a mother. Take care of yourself and your unborn baby.
I second this!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

I知 a male but what you said still makes good sense. It is still not about me anymore.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
I知 irritated and want the feeling of peace...
Finding that feeling of peace without beer was the quest that set me free.

Congrats on your baby!

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
Hi Anna,

I知 a male but what you said still makes good sense. It is still not about me anymore.
I was trying to get sober when my wife was pregnant with our first child. I told myself that I would snap out of it when she gave birth, that no way would I be a drunk dad. So I continued drinking.

While my wife was in labor I was drinking in the hospital parking lot. I was a terrible absent father during my son's first year of life. My wife almost took the kid and ran (don't blame her). I finally got sober right after my son's first birthday. I am now coming up on 5 years sober, a complete 180 degree turn with a lot of self-work and accepting help. I pray you start getting it together now and don't have to go through the same experiences I did.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is a very hard urge to fight... I would play mind games with myself when I was at work. Nope! I feel great, I'm not drinking today. Then 2 mins later I was saying F this I want a drink. Then say no way. Then go back to thinking whatever. The mental gymnastics we play are insane...
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Like Pinnacle mentioned, eat something filling. That always kills a craving for me. I don't like drinking on a full stomach because the beer just gets soaked up by the food and I feel bloated. I do this for the particularly strong cravings when I am out in the city and walking by bars and liquor stores. As unhealthy as McDonald's is, much worse is the liquor store next door so I choose the lesser evil. These alcohol cravings always come out of the blue so I have to do whatever I can to distract myself
Yes and I知 in the camp that believes my alcohol cravings also have to do with hypoglycemia. A number of research papers in the subject. In early recovery I知 diligently eating every two hours to avoid blood sugar dips. Low blood sugar=bad news for alcoholics. Not the only reason or solution but one tool in the toolbox.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't stop my cravings - but I learned how to deal with them in various healthy ways...and that stopped them

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Having a child is something that scares everyone I think, alcoholic or not - be the kind of dad you want your child to remember

D
Old 10-09-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What helped for me early on was to break time down into smaller chunks until the craving passed. example: I'm not going to drink for the next half hour. Just work on that half hour. When that half hour is done, do it again. I'm not going to drink for the next 40 minutes (or whatever works). It breaks the urge down into smaller more manageable chunks of time to deal with. At least it did for me. Often times I found by the third or so repeat the craving had passed.