Notices

Pre-Employment Drug Screening

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Pre-Employment Drug Screening

Hi guys,

I fell off the wagon for a couple of months, but I've returned and finally have my act back together. I am very unhappy with where I am working and am in the process of looking for a new job because it's not going to be healthy for me if I stay there for the rest of the school year. Anyway, there is a job opening outside of the teaching field that I have a really good shot at getting and I have heard that the company drug tests. I have been sober for a little less than a month (no drinks at all) so I'm not worried about if they give me a urine test, etc. My worry is if they do a hair test. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm terrified about failing (again, it's only been about 30 days since I quit drinking) and losing this job because I made a mistake a few months ago. Does a hair drug test look for alcohol? Is it common for employers to include that in pre-drug screens?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're doing well and have been sober for a month.

I have no experience with drug-testing. Hopefully others will be along who have experienced this.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get drug tested regularly and take breathalyzers for my job. I have never heard of a drug test where they check your hair for drinking in the past. Drinking is legal anyway, although maybe not on the job.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No. They do not test for alcohol via hair or urine. Only thru blood or breath alcohol. And like another poster mentioned, alcohol is legal. The only way they would test would be a random breath alcohol test that may be required by the US DOT or in a case of reasonable suspicion or as standard policy in some manner of post accident protocol. Long story short, long as you're not drinking on the job or showing up with alcohol in your system, you'll be just fine.