Notices

Extreme anxiety and sadness 2 weeks in

Old 10-07-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ES1

Extreme anxiety and sadness 2 weeks in

Hi. Can somebody please tell me if it’s normal to feel extreme anxiety and sadness 2 weeks into sobriety? Or is it just me? Will this pass? How long? I was a binge drinking averaging 4-5 days heavy drinking a week drinking to black out with mdma use some months. First few days were super hard as thought about drinking all the time. That feeling started to alleviate around 7 days in and I was actually feeling optimistic and good but the last few days I’ve hit an extreme low and I feel so anxious and sad I just feel like crying all the time, can’t sit still as I’m too on edge and just don’t know what to do. Is this a normal step in sobriety? It’s unbearable
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was certainly part of my experience es1 - but it got better with time.

Support helped too and you'll find a lot of that here

I'm really glad you found us - welcome aboard

D
Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. I have anxiety that sort of ebbs and flows. I've been sober 18 months.

I find that exercise eases my anxiety greatly. Its my medication.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely...intolerable anxiety. Welcome.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, definitely an emotional time for me in early recovery. There is so much emotion to deal with and dealing with the ups and downs of life is one of the hardest things to learn in recovery. But, it's essential.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Es1,

Yep, that is the brain damage.

The brain can heal or rewire, but it takes time. I am 3 plus years and I am still getting used to normal things.

It took couple of years to really settle down. The mixture of meds and booze makes the healing more painful...they tell me.

I call it suffering. I had to suffer to get this clean. That hell is something I never want to feel again.

Being super clean is amazing. I will never give this up.

Stay the course and be rewarded. Relapse and start over.

Eventually, if relapses continue, the crazy feelings take longer and longer to go away.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, anxiety is too be expected after quitting. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so when you take it away your brain responds, sometimes quite erratically. Getting sleep when you can, eating well, getting some light exercises, avoiding caffeine and sugars, and even relaxation techniques can help.

It is worth noting that there is a difference between the anxiety brought on by withdrawals and diagnosed/chronic/general anxiety. Some people suffer from that as well, I did and sought treatment for it with counseling. But at 2 weeks it's probably a bit early to tell.

As others have said, it's very important to remember that if you would go back to drinking again, the withdrawals and anxiety the next time would likely be even worse than now. It's a phenomenon called kindling.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am sober 13 days so right there with you ES1. I am very anxious too. It comes in waves. There isn't anything in particular I am anxious about but I had a few black-outs over the last few months that left me vague memories that I am not sure really happened or not.

What I do know is that I really have to stop for the sake of my mental health. The physical damage to my health was never enough to get me to stop but losing my grip on reality is scary sh*t.

It is very normal for newly sober people to experience anxiety, depression/sadness. It does go away. Maybe not completely but the intensity of the emotions should dissipate over the next few weeks/months.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure if you drink much caffeine but since I have quit it will send my anxiety into overdrive.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to be up and down for a while in early recovery. It gets better with more sober time. And yes, if you drink again, the w/d just gets worse.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

I have never really "felt" in my life.

I dont really get anxiety per se, I get more a hopeless and lost feeling, as if I am just drifting out to sea with no one to pull me back in to sit with me quietly.

I wake up a night though with a pounding heart worrying about the future.

When I was drinking I was numb so I cared about nothing. Now I do.

My life is changing slowly with the many AA meetings I go to.

But, I had to really open my mind to the goodness of the universe.

Deep breathing helped me in so many ways too.

This too shall pass for you.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anxiety is my base emotion. I feel nostalgic looking back when I was a teenager being able to just go with my day normally.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, extreme anxiety for a few
months. I would jump out of bed startled in a panic attack and run outside to feel cool grass under my feet in the middle of the night. Breathing exercises, meditation, reducing caffeine helped too. I was an anxious person my whole life, but early days definitely worse. I still take meds when needed. It's been 2 years now and my anxiety is at pre-drinking level now, which is manageable

Hang in there and work at it, it will get better.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anxiety and sadness may still be there when you quit. You need to deal with them consciously and logically.

Anxiety is an irrational fear that the worst outcome will transpire. That is rarely the case and we can always do things to influence the outcome.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

how its going ES1?

D