Beware of St. Machiavellius

Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beware of St. Machiavellius

"Machiavellianism in psychology refers to a personality trait which sees a person so focused on their own interests they will manipulate, deceive, and exploit others to achieve their goals. Machiavellianism is one of the traits in what is called the 'Dark Triad', the other two being narcissism and psychopathy."

I had a visit yesterday from a slave of St. Machiavellius. I use the word "St." loosely here.

There is a local organization headed by this character. His circle of influence is growing smaller and smaller, because quite a few members of his little cult have moved on after they discovered that their slavery was voluntary. Now their club is really suffering. There are not enough members to constitute a board. Of course, the board when it existed was unnecessary. "St." Machiavellius totally runs things.

Once a year this slave, a very sweet Empath, comes to see me. Every year she tries to get me back into their organization. Every year, my answer is always the same.

My reason for posting here, is to help some friends here. Perhaps you will see some parallels to your own situation.

This is what I was told yesterday by the slave:

1. I am stubborn (actually she said both I and the "St." are stubborn) for refusing to get together and work things out.

2. She complained again about the "St." dispatching her to do his dirty work. I suggested that she tell him to do his own dirty work. She giggled.

I told her that I had devoted 30 years to this "St."

I told her that their organization is suffering because of him.

I told her that he lies.

Last night I went to bed a little upset, and second guessing my decisions to avoid them.

This morning, I am SO grateful. Grateful for recovery, clarity and you folks.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I have nothing to add except to say that your post made me smile with amusement, which is rare when I read the threads on these boards. Thank you for writing this. I'm glad you're confident in your decision!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reminds me of a quote out of "Godfather 3" where Michael says "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU)

Good for you for not allowing yourself to get sucked back into the vacuum.