Coping with stress

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping with stress

At the moment I'm searching for healthy coping mechanisms that would help me dealing with stress episodes, as I'm getting less and less tolerable to it and its affecting my physical and mental health. Writing, yoga and exercising has helped tremendously. What do you do when you're in a moment of stress, frustration, distress or any uncomfortable state?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Valentinus View Post
At the moment I'm searching for healthy coping mechanisms that would help me dealing with stress episodes, as I'm getting less and less tolerable to it and its affecting my physical and mental health. Writing, yoga and exercising has helped tremendously. What do you do when you're in a moment of stress, frustration, distress or any uncomfortable state?
I get stressed a lot. I do yoga, I write down what I'm feeling if I can and to get me through the last few months, I go out walking a lot more, put on my headphones and listen to some positive stuff from different people. I also find meditating really helpful, I'm still in early days of it, but listen to guided ones on YouTube and sometimes just taking deep long breaths in quiteness. Also not being around other people helps when I'm stressed.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes all that good stuff, yoga, journaling, meditation, sauna, swimming etc...all these things are great to practice day to day as a way of building resilience and helping you feel more centred and less stressed and less reactive to what life throws at you.

However in the heat of a stressed out uncomfortable moment, when pulling out a yoga mat or a writing book seems too much of a task, I've discovered that what calms me down in the moment is to pause, recognize "the fog" and take a few deep breaths... just be still and sit with it... observe what is happening in my body and mind.

Once I've identified that what I'm experiencing is anxiety, I'll know that it's a wave and it will eventually pass. Calling out what is happening creates distance from what is triggering me. And then take a little positive action step, usually something that involves changing my physical state, I e tidy up my bedroom, wash a few dishes, go and stand outside and breathe in the fresh air... run a bubble bath... check off something on my to-do list.

By doing one simple positive thing for myself, i am soothing both body and mind...and this is what creates the quiet space i need in order to feel like the real me.

Learning all this now... Used to think I only needed daily meditation to help me, but after experiencing "the awakening" (I like to call it that) in understanding alcholism and the effects it has had on me for years, I can now see how their problems are not mine and my stress triggers are my own... I'm not going to make other people's problems my obsession so I feel I have more power how I react to stressful triggers now. Still working on all this of course.. Easier said than done but noticed a difference recently.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When panic has me pinned & I am only managing life one minute at a time, I play short games on my phone like Fruit Ninja or Candy Crush-type stuff. Totally changes the direction of my brain.

Coloring Mandalas
Deep Breathing Exercises
Walking - or any exercise that engages the hip flexors because it will actually simulate "running from a tiger" & trigger your fight-or-flight reflex to stop.
Reading - they're finding that it is impossible to stress if you're paying attention to another story line (not always easy to shift focus though - this is more of something I do daily to combat stress rather than in a crisis moment)
Mantras have saved my sanity many times - one of my newest is, "There is NO TIGER" to remind myself that no one is dying - that my level of anxiety is disproportionate to the actual situation.

One of the greatest tricks I learned from another member here was learning to tell myself, "I'll think about *this stress* at *this later time*..... not now...." It is WEIRD but it works to ease my anxiety when I give myself "permission" to come back & worry about it later. And of course, when the designated time rolls around, I've usually chilled considerably.

Conversely - when you CAN'T stop yourself, give yourself a time limit. "OK, I'll ruminate.... but I'm setting a timer for 30 mins & after that, I'm moving on."

Talk it out, OUT LOUD to yourself. I often hear myself say something I didn't realize I was thinking & have that AHA moment.

Brain Synch - crossing the right & left sides of the body (hands, legs, whatever) forces the right & left brain to work together more harmoniously. Binaural beats are great for this too & take about 10-15 mins but they require headphones for the benefit...... if I'm in public, I can cross my arms & legs.

Extra water, sleep, vitamins - magnesium is vital to me in recovery. Many of us also end up finding ourselves deficient in things like Vitamin D & Bs... small adjustments like that can really help in the long run. (but certainly consult your doctors of choice - my acupuncturist is on speed-dial, lol)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I am alone, sometimes I will just let out a primal blood curdling scream.....letting it go for as long as I can. Sounds weird, but it can be very cathartic.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
If I am alone, sometimes I will just let out a primal blood curdling scream.....letting it go for as long as I can. Sounds weird, but it can be very cathartic.
I do this too, not a scream but a short burst of - sound. It works! On the other hand I do it when others are present sometimes, it usually scares them, oh well
Old 10-05-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

Singing, body percussion, rhythm and beats help me immensely.

Bucket drumming by myself and with kid and my husband have been good, healthy ways to let off stress, release tension and anxiety, and be a part of life in a constructive wat. Trifecta of healing!

Sometimes we have played games like copying the previous person's short rhythm and adding to it. Then breaking it up with individual solos. No talent needed!

Bucket drumming 101:

https://youtu.be/rddrEsymrkU
Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
I get stressed a lot. I do yoga, I write down what I'm feeling if I can and to get me through the last few months, I go out walking a lot more, put on my headphones and listen to some positive stuff from different people. I also find meditating really helpful, I'm still in early days of it, but listen to guided ones on YouTube and sometimes just taking deep long breaths in quiteness. Also not being around other people helps when I'm stressed.
I love writing with markers, the markers gliding on smoothly and evenly on the paper is so pleasant to me. I can spend hours and hours doing it
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surfbee View Post
Yes all that good stuff, yoga, journaling, meditation, sauna, swimming etc...all these things are great to practice day to day as a way of building resilience and helping you feel more centred and less stressed and less reactive to what life throws at you.

However in the heat of a stressed out uncomfortable moment, when pulling out a yoga mat or a writing book seems too much of a task, I've discovered that what calms me down in the moment is to pause, recognize "the fog" and take a few deep breaths... just be still and sit with it... observe what is happening in my body and mind.

Once I've identified that what I'm experiencing is anxiety, I'll know that it's a wave and it will eventually pass. Calling out what is happening creates distance from what is triggering me. And then take a little positive action step, usually something that involves changing my physical state, I e tidy up my bedroom, wash a few dishes, go and stand outside and breathe in the fresh air... run a bubble bath... check off something on my to-do list.

By doing one simple positive thing for myself, i am soothing both body and mind...and this is what creates the quiet space i need in order to feel like the real me.

Learning all this now... Used to think I only needed daily meditation to help me, but after experiencing "the awakening" (I like to call it that) in understanding alcholism and the effects it has had on me for years, I can now see how their problems are not mine and my stress triggers are my own... I'm not going to make other people's problems my obsession so I feel I have more power how I react to stressful triggers now. Still working on all this of course.. Easier said than done but noticed a difference recently.
Self-reflection and being aware of our emotional/mental state pretty much makes a world of a difference. I should start doing that, I've been having a hard time doing the simplest tasks, you can't imagine.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
Oh no my throat would hate me for doing that, but do what works for you XD
Old 10-08-2018, 12:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I do this too, not a scream but a short burst of - sound. It works! On the other hand I do it when others are present sometimes, it usually scares them, oh well
I much prefer singing or laughing.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The things I do that come to mind are: exercise, play w/animals, volunteer to stay busy and keep my mind off my own angst, use my meditation app, load up on funny sitcoms, and journal. That is just off the top of my head. I also have a therapist and a wide support system. Oh yes, I also come here to my fine people here at SR who have supported me every step of the way!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There's a saying that is attributed to Buddha of what to do when unwelcome thoughts and stress come your way:

"Acknowledge them, but don't invite them to tea."

ShootingStar2
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Some things have already been mentioned, but I like to do yoga, pilates, walking or other exercise, mindfulness, gratitude and meditation. Most importantly spending time with loved ones.