Anyone Have Any Experience with Antabuse and/or Vivitrol?

Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Have Any Experience with Antabuse and/or Vivitrol?

The Vivitrol is an injectable or pill that reduces cravings.

Antabuse is a pill that makes you super nauseas if you drink while taking it. It's supposed to be a major deterrent.

Has anyone's SO ever taken either of these, and if so, what was your experience? I know neither is a long-term solution, but it seems an attractive way to go along with therapy to help AH get some serious sobriety time under his belt.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think these things can be helpful if it's actually him wanting to take them, and not you. If not, he will find a way to cheat around it.

Just my two cents....
Old 10-02-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hopeful, he wants to take them as well. I agree with you, though - - people can cheat and drink ALWAYS if they want to!
Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
The Vivitrol is an injectable or pill that reduces cravings.

Antabuse is a pill that makes you super nauseas if you drink while taking it. It's supposed to be a major deterrent.

Has anyone's SO ever taken either of these, and if so, what was your experience? I know neither is a long-term solution, but it seems an attractive way to go along with therapy to help AH get some serious sobriety time under his belt.
I took the pill form of vivitrol, naltrexone, and felt it did nothing to decrease my desire or Craigslist. I kept on drinking.

I took Antabuse before I quit too and played a dangerous game. Far beyond making you nauseous, drinking on it, skipping doses, etc like I did can kill you. And there can be lots of nasty effects in between those extremes.

When I finally decided I was DONE drinking, I took Antabuse for the first ninety days. It is not meant for long term use, it does have some impact on the liver, and you need a good psych to monitor it. Some drs even make a patient come in every day to take it. I couldn't do that, so I had a sheaf of papers and each line was a day, where I signed, had witnessed, dated and timed when I took it.

Bottom line? There are some good drugs that can benefit some people but no drug cures alcohol,ism. Nor will any drug make or ensure someone not drink.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Bottom line? There are some good drugs that can benefit some people but no drug cures alcohol,ism. Nor will any drug make or ensure someone not drink.
So true, as Purplethistles posted at the end of September:

Originally Posted by Purplethistles View Post
As it stands, husband has began taking his Antabuse again and surprise surprise, I noticed him turning a familiar shade of red tonight, reacting to having drank on the Antabuse at some point today.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7023816 (Husband getting worse)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha, I meant "cravings" above and not Craigslist. iPad autocorrect!

Yes, the intense red face, leg seizures and cramping, elevated heart rate....all thighs I experienced drinking on Antabuse.