My Husband Almost Died

Old 10-02-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Husband Almost Died

There's a reason why they say alcoholism is a progressive disease - it is.

My husband almost died a couple of weeks ago from some issues that would have certainly been detected if he'd been sober and able to feel his body telling him something was wrong. Instead, he was on a bender at his enabling parents' house and by the time he figured it out, it was really, really bad. He was in ICU for several days. Funny enough, his enabling father sent me a long text, telling me his son's alcoholism was my fault because I stress him out so much. Anyways, I am happy to say that AH is back in treatment and he signed some paperwork saying that if he has another relapse they get to put him into inpatient treatment.

I'm also happy to say that my husband is going to ask his parents to come to one of their family days - it's obvious they need a little education about addiction.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope he gets the help he needs
Old 10-02-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope he finds his way toward embracing recovery. I hope his parents find their way out of blame and into an understanding about addiction.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Such a horrible reminder of the reality of addiction.

It is my understanding that withdrawal from alcohol should be medically supervised, hard to accept that folks actually can die from NOT drinking.

I certainly hope that your husband gets the necessary help he needs to find sobriety.

Hugs to you, what a frightening situation it must have been for you.
Please remember to take care of yourself.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marie,

You are correct - an abrupt cessation in drinking can absolutely cause death. Both times my husband detoxed it was under medical supervision. Once in an in-patient place and this past time in the hospital. They will provide drugs like anavan or phenobarbital to help the body detox safely.

Thank you - it was frightening, but maybe it was the wakeup call he needed.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

LovePeaceSushi,

One day at a time. It's okay -- and very healing! -- to embrace the wonderful things this day holds, even as someone else has different things they're dealing with.

One thing I'm finding is it frees them to find their own way. Independence and a relationship with their Higher Power, however that expresses itself, is much more important than another adult's relationship with me.

My husband came to see me last month, yet other than that I've been in no contact for more than 4 months now. I love him very much. It's not healthy for kid or me to be around him during active alcoholism or early recovery.

He had almost died a week before visiting me. I didn't ask for details. I was able to smile, genuinely laugh, mention with love there's been many times he's almost died and God must have a plan for him. My focus wasn't on the "what happened last week". It was on the moment of having a pleasant conversation and seeing my husband in a much better frame of mind (for the moment). This was not long after I'd had a long meditation where God brought to me the many incidences where something happened to my husband and I was scared, and worked out all my fears and disbelief. God brought to me time after time of images and memories of my husband being healthy and trusting him to find his way without my interference.

Prayers and blessings for you, your husband and your family. May you find great healing in many ways.