Notices

Stopping is a process

Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping is a process

It is only the hindsight of stopping that I can see a slow increasing aversion to alcohol. I would never have believed that a few months ago.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a really interesting observation. I’ve stopped since end of July with one major slip up. Therefore I’m nowhere near the completed article and my sobriety is somewhat precarious at times. It’s going to take work

But since my slip my attitude to alcohol is not the same. It’s just not. I’m aware if I drink it may go back to where it was but I don’t crave it, I fear it.

Someone said some quote about AA, something like if it doesn’t stop you drinking it will stop you enjoying drinking (something like that). I think my sober time and time spent on here is taking away the illusion of enjoyment from it
Old 10-01-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This quit has the most resolve the earlier ones made this one possible.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I hear you Ben, I don’t crave a drink at all. I am terrified of the thought of drinking again. I have no euphoric recall about how it was once good and I enjoyed it as I drank on my own and never to enjoy it, just to get smashed.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Respectfully, stopping itself is a decision- becoming willing to acknowledge or accept that you must is a process.

The progressive nature of our disease has a spectrum and we reach the point of quitting, or not. An increasing aversion is typical- what we do with that is a singular decision.

Of course, as usual, this is IME and through much observation and research hence firmly IMO.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ben,

For me....it is a hate and false love thing.

I hate booze....it is poison. I came to this feeling after I nearly destroyed myself numerous times over 40 plus years.

I have this nestled pang of love, deep in my mind. All of the seemingly great experiences I had while drinking. My av wants me to forget all the hell I went through during and after my drinking days. It is like loving someone that hates me. Insanity.

My rational mind has won out 1240 days and counting. My av won for about 30 seconds.

When I am clean, I am the all I can be real me and free. When I was a drunk, I was a fat, lazy, tired, doomed character version of me and trapped.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
I’m aware if I drink it may go back to where it was but I don’t crave it, I fear it.
Same here! I know from experience that it will go back to really bad, but worse. It's kicked my ass enough times for me to know I can't beat it, so I can't engage at all...
Old 10-02-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

The progressive nature of our disease has a spectrum and we reach the point of quitting, or not.
Speak for yourself I don't have any disease.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
J50

Figuring out how to stop is indeed a process.

The personal growth afterwards, however, is where the magic happens!
Old 10-02-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets remember we might not always agree - but we can ALWAYS be civil in disagreement

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Respectfully, stopping itself is a decision- becoming willing to acknowledge or accept that you must is a process.

The progressive nature of our disease has a spectrum and we reach the point of quitting, or not. An increasing aversion is typical- what we do with that is a singular decision.

Of course, as usual, this is IME and through much observation and research hence firmly IMO.
For me it was a process, and making that decision was part of it. I went from ima quit while I'm in rehab to quitting for 90 days to 6 months to a year.

This was over the span of about 10-15 days, and fortunately I was in inpatient rehab during this process.

It just hit me suddenly. I'm starting to feel better than I ever have in my life. Why would I ever drink again?

It really took hold after I started noticing the positive things, far more than the negative consequences.

The process continues, but after the decision is was STAYING sober.

Love the new pic August.