Notices

I am really afraid I will never overcome this.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am really afraid I will never overcome this.

I can't make it past 1 day sober. AA doesn't work for me. The resources and support outside of AA are minimal or nonexistent.

Close to giving up completely.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What have you tried besides AA?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Time,

After being on SR for over 3 years, I have seen a few addicts that feel they just can't stop.

Most have hope.

At least you are not incarcerated or extremely physically ill or disabled. Non of us, not even non drinkers, have it together all the way.

There are some extremely bright folks on sr that may offer you a solution to get into a sober routine to change your trajectory.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
What have you tried besides AA?
2 treatment facilities and SMART recovery which is a 4 hr. round trip to attend a meeting.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are your longest sober stints as of late? And when you have been able to stay sober, what kinds of things have you tried to do on a day to day basis in order to keep yourself busy?

I know it isn't easy, and I can very much relate to what you're feeling because I also haven't found what I've needed at AA. But there are other perspectives worth considering. In addition to the damage you are doing to your body and to your mind, you are affecting the people around you, whether you see it or not. Because whether you are an alcoholic who gets drunk and causes trouble (like me, unfortunately) or you keep to yourself, you are still failing to be the best version of yourself, the one that can help lift others up or perhaps teach them, give them inspiration.

Have you considered something like therapy a couple times a week? Perhaps talking through general life issues, the underlying causes of your drinking, will help you to figure out why you feel the need to keep it up. In addition to that, developing new skills and hobbies so that you can put yourself into better, more fulfilling positions in life.

It will be a tough road, but you know it is worth it. Keep it up. Try again.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Focus View Post
I can't make it past 1 day sober. AA doesn't work for me. The resources and support outside of AA are minimal or nonexistent.

Close to giving up completely.
I'm right there with you. Personally speaking, this forum is superior to any AA meeting I have attended to date. There are people here from multiple countries and multiple walks of life. There are also people in this forum throughout the alcoholism spectrum. I can relate much better to the stories here than the ones I have heard in AA meetings.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I'm right there with you. Personally speaking, this forum is superior to any AA meeting I have attended to date. There are people here from multiple countries and multiple walks of life. There are also people in this forum throughout the alcoholism spectrum. I can relate much better to the stories here than the ones I have heard in AA meetings.
Has it helped you gain substantial clean time?
Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Time2Focus

I dunno - I refuse to believe anyone is doomed to drink if they son;t want to.

When I pared my problem down the real sticking point was the only tool I had or dealing with life was a bottle.

I got myself really involved with the community here - posting daily and more than daily, and not leaving when I felt good.

If SR's the only thing you can commit to, commit to it fully. Use the support - come here before you drink.

If you want change make changes, yeah?

D
Old 09-30-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Focus View Post
Has it helped you gain substantial clean time?
Yes, absolutely... weeks at a time several times this year and almost 30 pounds lost. I feel like I am still in the middle of a "process", but I am doing much better than I would have if I wasn't visiting this forum.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Combine your recovery program with a program of practicing gratitude every day. That's the best way I know to make my sobriety stronger.

The other thing is that you still drink, therefore must want to drink more than you want to be sober. You've got to turn that around and want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Time2Focus, I can certainly relate. I am on Day 7 of my latest attempt at sobriety. I first sought help 7 years ago when I checked into rehab. Struggled to stay sober since. Besides rehab I have used AA/sponsor,
this forum, therapy, books etc. I am scared that I may never 'get it'.

I look at my attempts to get sober as a trial and error process. I keep trying. As long as you don't give up and resign yourself to being a drunk forever, you have a chance.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
What are your longest sober stints as of late? And when you have been able to stay sober, what kinds of things have you tried to do on a day to day basis in order to keep yourself busy?

I know it isn't easy, and I can very much relate to what you're feeling because I also haven't found what I've needed at AA. But there are other perspectives worth considering. In addition to the damage you are doing to your body and to your mind, you are affecting the people around you, whether you see it or not. Because whether you are an alcoholic who gets drunk and causes trouble (like me, unfortunately) or you keep to yourself, you are still failing to be the best version of yourself, the one that can help lift others up or perhaps teach them, give them inspiration.

Have you considered something like therapy a couple times a week? Perhaps talking through general life issues, the underlying causes of your drinking, will help you to figure out why you feel the need to keep it up. In addition to that, developing new skills and hobbies so that you can put yourself into better, more fulfilling positions in life.

It will be a tough road, but you know it is worth it. Keep it up. Try again.
Longest stint was about 110 days. I've also tried the therapy thing and it really didn't help. Hobbies and new skills are definitely something I need to look into. Staying committed to something like SR I think would be a huge help as well - I just suck at staying committed to anything.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

These doubts, these negative thoughts your brain is throwing up are not to be trusted. Don't take them at face value. You're in control of whether you drink or not, the real you. That objective fact is something to count on and build on.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just suck at staying committed to anything.

And that might be the foundation for you. Committing to not drinking, no matter what. Committing to a program, whatever that program is. Committing to engage in activities that support a healthy body and mind.

Acceptance that I cannot drink, and commitment to not drinking.

Have you thought about why you cannot commit? The hard truth?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Acceptance and stopping trying to 'test' my drinking habits were huge in my recovery. It's really as simple as "no more"/don't drink when you get down to it.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I just suck at staying committed to anything.

And that might be the foundation for you. Committing to not drinking, no matter what. Committing to a program, whatever that program is. Committing to engage in activities that support a healthy body and mind.

Acceptance that I cannot drink, and commitment to not drinking.

Have you thought about why you cannot commit? The hard truth?
The hard truth.. Commitment is hard. I don't like hard. I like easy.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

staying sober gets easy - but you have to go through some hard stuff first.
Fortunately there's always support here.

D