Notices

Have there been any positives come from your drinking?

Old 09-22-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have there been any positives come from your drinking?

Hi. I've pondered this the last couple of days. I'm struggling with stopping drinking. I go for months and don't touch a drop but then will have a relapse lasting a day or 2. This last one last week was just a day but still left me feeling terrible, guilt stricken and questioning my place in the world yet again. I feel like a failure and ending it all is something I think about frequently (although because I have family would never act on).

Give me some positives of this illness (and I believe it is albeit a controllable one!). What have you learnt from it? There has to be a lot of introspection when recovering from this.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I enjoyed my drinking sessions with friends.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Charlie

Sorry to hear it can make you feel so down.

Remember if you are in the UK you can always call Samaritans free on 116 123 when are you feeling really low. They won't tell what to do (or what not to do) - they will just listen and help you work through things yourself.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the biggest positive that has come from living a drinking life now that I am sober is gratitude. I am so so grateful for everything I have now and I am not talking about material possessions. I have my health, all my senses, my arms and legs. I can walk and I can run! I have a loving family I abused for many years who love me and are so happy I am sober. I have a daughter I adore and who I can be a responsible and loving parent to. A niece and a nephew. Friends. Real friends. Not drinkibg buddies!!! I appreciate the simple beauty in the world. The sun, the rain, the sea (I live on the coast). All the things I didn't give a **** about when I was drinking. All that mattered to me was alcohol. Where my next drink was coming from. I am so grateful to go to bed sober and wake without a hangover. All the things that "normal" people take for granted everyday. Alcohol robbed me of so much but living that life and now being given a 2nd chance (as alcohok nearly killed me) to live a different way of life,sober, is a true gift.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On positives, it has made me much less judgemental of the struggles of others.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

None from my drinking I'm afraid Charliesworld - lots from my recovery tho .

Maybe, if you want to, you can share what you've been doing to stay sober - maybe we can help with more suggestions?

Like Michael said please phone the Samaritians or some other crisis line if you feel at the end of your tether.

Addiction makes us feel there's no point and it's hopeless but that's simply not the case

D
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do yoy have a programme of recovery? I am in AA and the 12 steps are teaching me a beautiful design for living I never thought possible. I felt I had no place... what was the point in life?? What was my purpose? Poor me, poor me,pour me a drink!!! AA is helping me to remove my guilt, my self pity, my resentments. I am already more honest and less selfish. I have a programme of recovery to help me live and enjoy my life sober. AA is not for everyone but there are lots of different programmes out there.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
Give me some positives of this illness (and I believe it is albeit a controllable one!).
If by controllable, you mean the drinking, you are wrong. You've proved that no matter how long you've gone without drinking that once you pick up, you lose control.

You can control the not drinking part. It's daily recovery.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. Sobriety. I truly believe that being an alcoholic is the best thing that ever happened to me, as the B.B. Says (p418) - because being a terrible drunk then somehow getting into recovery brings me a better life than I could have imagined. As I heard someone say once, it's a "peculiar gift."
Old 09-23-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's hard to say. Because whatever I used to tell myself was positive was just me rationalizing my drinking when I knew I shouldn't be doing it. And all of those things could have been experienced sober. However, almost all of my poor decisions in life can be traced back to alcohol and wouldn't have happened sober.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess the only positive would be seeing how much of my life I wasted, so doing my best to enjoy life and not waste it now!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I'll articulate this accurately, but if my drinking had never become deadly, I probably wouldn't have stopped.

I'd plug along, drinking daily, probably getting tanked on weekends. I'd be bloated, fat, out of shape. I'd have high blood pressure, probably digestive issues. I'd have anxiety and depression that I probably wouldn't associate to my drinking so I'd probably be on meds for that....that won't work but I don't know that mixing booze and psych meds renders them useless.

Yeah, my life isn't falling apart, but I probably have fatty liver disease and scare tissue on my liver...pre-cirrhosis. But hey, I'm not an alcoholic, my life isn't unmanageable. I'd question my drinking, but probably not for long because, well, I'm meeting my friends at the bar and they all drink, but aren't 'alcoholic' either so we protect each other.

So, yes the positive is that my life in reality got so lethal I had to quit, die, or kill someone else. And I get to be healthy and learn how to deal with life sober.

A lot of people don't drink. But many, and mean MANY, drink quite heavily and spend a lot of time rationalizing that they don't have a problem...meanwhile their quality of life sucks.....and deep down they know it. Which causes cognitive dissonance, which causes depression.

No thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Appreciation. Empathy. Self development.

Plus alot of good memories from the past before it started unravelling.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bottletop View Post
Appreciation. Empathy. Self development.

Plus alot of good memories from the past before it started unravelling.
This for me too. You can learn and grow from this if you choose to--it's hard in the beginning but with work, it will get so much better
Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2/2016

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
...This last one last week was just a day but still left me feeling terrible, guilt stricken and questioning my place in the world yet again. I feel like a failure and ending it all is something I think about frequently (although because I have family would never act on).
This is EXACTLY how I felt. I do not feel that way anymore. Talk about positive, those feelings are gone. I am so much happier, and it was the alcohol. I do not drink anymore and while I did enjoy it, it was causing me problems. Shame, guilt, suicidal thoughts. I still watch football with my friends, but I don’t drink beer anymore. No one drinks like me anyway. I watched everyone last night. Two beers then done. Not me, I would just keeping going till passing out.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only positive thing that came from my last drink is that it made me realize I don't want it anymore.

I would have to question if using alcohol was really fun...ever. Even in the beginning, I made stupid choices while drinking, got sick from hangovers, and spent way too much money.

I'm glad that my last drink proved to me that it was time to let go of the mirage.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I have had a lot of positives from drinking. Lots of great times alone or with friends. Wonderful trips. If it was not for drinking my wife and I would have never been together. My children whom I love dearly would not be here. I wouldnt be enjoying life sober so much if not for drinking.

In the end the negatives become too great for me. Thinking of suicide like yourself. Health problems. Money problems. Social problems. Legal issues. And drinking just because but not even enjoying it. Until eventually my whole life will center around alcohol and altering my perception of reality.

Its not worth it.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sure. I married my drinking buddy and had two great children with him.

But now my marriage is falling apart, my children have witnessed too much drinking and bad decision making and are living in a very tense, angry household. I hope they aren’t too far gone and don’t follow in our drinking footsteps and that we haven’t caused co-dependent characteristics in our children.

Way more negatives than positives (except for my children!) in drinking, IMO.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't really think I had good experiences with alcohol. I don't remember much fun past the age of 18. I was scared, mentally ill and used alcohol to cope, which causes more illness.

I would say that, although this last year in recovery has been one of the toughest of my life, there have been moments of real beauty. The realsation of what life can be......what I can be, is having a profound affect on me. As is working the steps.

It sounds like you are struggling. Can you get more support? I found counselling and a good doctor invaluable. Maybe it's time to reach out more? xx
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My son came from my alcoholism, and then he help save me from my alcoholism.