Notices

Life is sooo much simpler now

Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is sooo much simpler now

I will have 53 days sober when I wake up tomorrow and my life has become exponentially more simple since I made the decision to quit drinking. I can’t believe how much my daily drinking clouded my judgement. Reading the recent post by Rich624 was so eye opening as I should have been in that situation a hundred times over. To hide my drinking I would literally drink and drive every single day, multiple times a day .! As in drive home from work slamming multiple 24 oz cans of Steel Reserve before I got home then think of any reason to go back out to buy more or figure out how to hide out in the garage or somewhere else to drink without my family knowing. I’m sure anyone who knows 211 just puked in their mouth but that was my drink of choice. I know I did just now. And the number of times I put my wife and young kids in a vehicle with me, drunk driver, someone that is supposed to do anything to protect them from harm just disgusts me now. But a little over 50 days ago I would never given it a second thought or hesitated to take that chance if I knew i could keep my buzz going.

The amount of complexity I added to my life while figuring out how to poison myself just seems so illogical now. Where to buy booze, where to drink, where to hide the evidence, what to say if someone noticed I was “off”, why I totally forgot what happened the night before, etc. why my blood pressure was so damn high!

I definitely have cravings but I am choosing to fall back in this simpler way of living. So much less anxiety, infinitely more time with my wife and kids completely clear headed! This is absolutely the way I intend to live the rest of my life. Thank you everyone who posts in here for offering your advice and guidance and stories of success and failure. It has helped me a ton and I am very grateful to have stumbled across these message boards. Who knows what would have happened.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations JimRat
D
Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome Jimrat keep it up.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That is wonderful! I agree with you cause my life is so much simpler now than it was. I like it this way.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Thanks for your post! I loved reading it.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Totally with you. The life of an addict is mostly consumed by negotiating with their DOC, definitely including alcohol.

Good job. Now you hav3 time and energy for more positive things.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice Post!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know! It's crazy what we put ourselves through, thinking we're enhancing our lives. Very happy for you, JimRat - you have your life back.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got a DUI in the early years of my alcoholism. Never got my license back because I didn't need a car (live in a big city). My alcoholism got much worse over the next few years and I am thankful I never got my license back as I may well have gotten out on the roads while intoxicated.

One thing I really hate about my drinking is large memory gaps. I won't remember details from an entire week. One day melts into the next and when I sober up, I have no clear memory of what I did for 7 days. I will spend hundreds of dollars yet my fridge is empty and my bank statement will show I was in this bar or that bar with no clear memory of being there or what day I went.

I need a simpler life indeed....