My 8 year old son went to his first counseling appointment

Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 8 year old son went to his first counseling appointment

I got a referral for a place that has play therapy counseling for kids from our pediatrician. It took a while to find to get the insurance lined up and a therapist who could see us. We did not tell our son where he was going (it would have been the equivalent of telling a kid that they were getting a shot). He played with legos and other toys while the therapist asked him questions.

My son does not know the truth about his father's alcoholism. We moved my son to the inlaws when he was 2 years old for safety and financial reasons. His father later moved into his parents house to help with our kids as well as his sobriety. And then eventually I moved into the inlaws when I was able to work from home. His father has been sober for the past couple of years.

It was so raw to hear how my son feels--being sad, mad, anxious. The therapist had to diagnose his condition in order to bill the insurance, and she labeled it an adjustment disorder due to stresses in my son's life.

It was a beautiful day--just me, my son and my husband sitting on a couch in a therapist office. It gives me hope.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Wow. To be 8 years old and have a safe place to express emotions. Beautiful. (((hugs)))
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's really great you are getting him help. So many won't. Therapy has been key to my children's wellbeing. Good for you!