Notices

Day 4 Introducing Myself

Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 Introducing Myself

Hello All

I am on day 4 wahoo and starting to feel a bit better after days 1 2 and 3. Sleep is a big issue and is a risk factor in me drinking again.

Some background about me I recently turned 50. My wife divorced me 10 years ago because of my alcohol problem, wasn’t a particularly heavy drinker then but most days and binges at weekends.

Anyway I left went into rehab and then started AA in an attempt to save my marriage. Short periods of sobriety followed, but not enough to save my marriage. Oh and I also lost my driving licence during this time.

Fast forward 10 years I have lived on my own isolated and drink about 8 pints of lager every day and think my life is ok despite it being really crap go to work come home get drunk go to work come home get drunk....

The alcoholism hasn’t really progressed over the last 10 years but I can feel that coming and the hangovers at 50 seem a bit harder to shake off than at 40 so I’ve taken the choice to quit, there must have been a reason behind 4 very drunk calls to the AA helpline. I have had a couple of half hearted attempts to stop during those 10 years.

My plan was book this week off works as I was expecting the sleep problems stop day was Friday then Saturday then Sunday finally managed Monday so glad my week off work hasn’t been a complete week of maybe tomorrow’s. But beyond a week off I don’t really have a plan yet and at this moment in time would prefer not to go back to AA.

To close, thanks for reading this very long post. I have been reading this site constantly for the last 4 days and sporadically over the years. Have decided as without a plan I could start something of a plan by sharing on here and hopefully become part of the community rather than just a lurker.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR man. It's an incredible resource for support and wisdom. Congrats on your sober journey. Regardless of where we are in it, it's so much a better life.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day 4! I believe SR to be a good part of your soon to be established plan!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR wood4trees- great to have you here

This is a great community - it helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I was really up beat when I started this thread this morning. After writing it went out of my house for the first time since Sunday to visit family.

On the way home the thought of having a drink filled my head but thinking back to what I had written this morning dragged me home to 2 pints of iced water. Now the thought has gone, it is habit and I was dehydrated.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who sing the praises of sobriety, that is a real motivation for us starting out. So thanks for your support I can now look forward to day 5
Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wood4trees2018 View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I was really up beat when I started this thread this morning. After writing it went out of my house for the first time since Sunday to visit family.

On the way home the thought of having a drink filled my head but thinking back to what I had written this morning dragged me home to 2 pints of iced water. Now the thought has gone, it is habit and I was dehydrated.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who sing the praises of sobriety, that is a real motivation for us starting out. So thanks for your support I can now look forward to day 5
I shall repeat - it gets better and it gets easier and then better.

Do you know about the concept of Urge Surfing? Check it out, can search for it on these boards. Very valuable skill in early sobriety.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2/2016

Welcome I read every post here when I started.

Consider changing your routine as much as possible. Rearrange furniture. Go walk or go to the movie every night. Do not come home and sit in the same chair were you drank. Clean your closets and drawers. Stay busy. Just one day at a time. Remember HALTS hungry angry lonely or tired. Eat a lot of icr cream good luck
Old 09-20-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us and hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Wood! You sound British!

How did you come off the booze mate?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi All

Day 10 and going OK and am enjoying some of the upsides of sobriety. 10 days ago I couldn’t stand for long without holding onto something due to the shakes in my legs today I can. Last night I received an email at 1130pm which I would have usually replied to with some nonsense. I left it and replied at 630 am with a sensible answer 10 days ago I used to think who would send an email at that time of day. I would either still be in bed or trying hard to get my head and body together after a nights drinking. Just feel quite chilled generally.

That’s the upside.... Last night on the way home from work I needed to get some food shopping. I had no intention of drinking but it went through my head I might do one day so I may as well get some beers. I put 2 boxes of 18 cans of beer in my trolley along with my food and completed my shopping which incidentally included a tonne of soft drinks and healthy food.

I’m not craving a drink and as mentioned am seeing the positives of not drinking so buying beers didn’t make a lot of sense apart from hey that’s what I do. Anyway I’ve left the beer in my car I wouldn’t touch it unless it was cold so feel it is safe there. Hmm this sounds slightly crazy.

Anyway as SR is the form of support I am using thought I would share where I am, happy sober and free with a caveat of a car full of warm beer
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

My alcoholic brain would obsess over those beers in the trunk.
Take it back for a refund or dump it somewhere away from your house.

D
Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2/2016

Please do yourself a favor. Open them and pour them out. Great symbolizm that! Do not keep that beer. It is a crutch. A habit. You can break it.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wood4trees. Read the first paragraph of your post from this morning - that should encourage you to get rid of that beer. You're on your way to being free of it - I hope you won't risk a setback. Be proud of yourself for wanting to have a better life & taking action to make it happen.