Notices

Hello

Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VBC

Hello

Just found this site the other day.

Day three without a drink. Been drinking for about fifteen years. Really got bad when I lost my wife to cancer back in February.

Today was particularly tough because my son told me that he wanted to live with his mother instead of switching every other week. Nothing to do with anything I did (I didn't drink around him), she lives closer to the school (he's a senior) and he said it'd be easier on him because he was getting a job near the school. He doesn't drive so he figures he could walk to work from the school and then to her house after work. It would be too hard on him for me to pick him up after work and drive back to my house.

Not sure why I said all that. Took all I could not to go get something from the store. It's going to be real hard (or harder) if he moves in with his mom full time. I guess I needed to vent.

So, when do I get to sleep? 😂 Haven't slept more than a few hours in three days.

Oh, and that thing called eating? Wouldn't mind that either but I can't stomach anything other than water. Guess that would explain the bathroom 🚽 issues. That's getting old too.

And the itching? Literally. Everywhere. Feels like I've got things crawling all over me. I've read that sometimes that takes weeks to go away?

Thanks for listening.

VBC
Old 09-19-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great on making it thru day 3 i think you expressed yourself well and think your off to a good start - im not always around as much anymore but its a pleasure to meet you
Old 09-19-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey VBC. Welcome to SR.

The sleep does return. I have always been plagued by insomnia when I first get sober. I've found just lying in bed and reading so I get the physical rest at least is a good idea. Trying to avoid napping in the day time is also useful for me, although easier said than done at times

Eventually normal sleep patterns return and we get a far better quality of sleep than we got when we were drinking.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi VBC! My itching got a lot better at around 3 weeks as I recall. My sleep problems would come and go in waves but I have a history of insomnia anyway. Sounds like you're on the right track, good going. Sobriety is worth all the aggravation and then some.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
VBC

Thanks!

I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Your doing great on making it thru day 3 i think you expressed yourself well and think your off to a good start - im not always around as much anymore but its a pleasure to meet you
Old 09-19-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
VBC

Thanks!

I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Aardvajk View Post
Hey VBC. Welcome to SR.

The sleep does return. I have always been plagued by insomnia when I first get sober. I've found just lying in bed and reading so I get the physical rest at least is a good idea. Trying to avoid napping in the day time is also useful for me, although easier said than done at times

Eventually normal sleep patterns return and we get a far better quality of sleep than we got when we were drinking.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
VBC

Thanks!

I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Hi VBC! My itching got a lot better at around 3 weeks as I recall. My sleep problems would come and go in waves but I have a history of insomnia anyway. Sounds like you're on the right track, good going. Sobriety is worth all the aggravation and then some.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR VBC - how are you feeling now?

D
Old 09-19-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, VBC. Congrats on your 3 days. You're never alone - we all get it.

The itching & other stuff is normal in the early days. Most of it calms down or goes away all together. I drank 30 yrs. & in the end it was 24/7. I thought it was easier to numb myself when problems came along, but it turned out to be a terrible idea. As painful as some things are, we need to face them with a clear head so we can deal with them & not let them tear us apart.

I'm sorry that you lost your wife. Also, for the hurt you're feeling over your son's possible move. Drinking doesn't make anything better or easier - it only adds to our anxiety. You're doing the right thing by getting free of it. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

VBC there is 24 / 7 support here. Plug in and post and read. Very helpful to me in the beginning. I am 4 1/2 months sober. I still struggle even though I went through about a 3 week time when I thought I had it beat. That's what I get for thinking! Had insomnia at first but it lasted only a short while. Keep it up!!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

vbc,

Booze detox/withdrawals were horrid.

After about 3 to 14 days, I would begin to....feel better...but really...I was craving like a crack head.

Getting through those craves was the beginning of the healing. That healing takes months. Then the mental rewiring. I had paranoia and agoraphobia.

I made it through, prescription drug free. I have a bit of ptsd from it all.

But, I am way better.

I still crave a bit, but nothing like the first 6 months.

I take it one day at a time. One second at a time if I have to.

Exercise and eating sweets helped me get through in the beginning.

I don't eat to many sweets these days, but I exercise at least 4 days a week.

Thanks.