Notices

Finally had to test my sobriety

Old 09-18-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally had to test my sobriety

Hello all

I am at 139 days sober today and up until last night l had not been near any establishment that serves alcohol, l just didn't feel ready.

We had a last minute invite to dinner and husband wanted to go so l agreed, can't hide away for ever right? On the way there husband asked if l would be ok if he had a drink if the others did (he very rarely drinks). And then had this lengthy discussion about what excuse l would use if asked why l was not drinking, l choose not to share why l don't drink as far as l am concerned its no ones business but mine that may change in the future but that's how l feel right now. He seemed more concerned than me, we just settled on saying l was on a health kick.

No one drank at dinner so all fine there then after decided on a quick drink at a nearby bar. We ended up being there for a few hours playing pool and l had two Sprites (no diet available so 76g of sugar yuck) l didn't want to drink water because that just seemed too much. It went surprisingly well, l didn't care they were drinking and didn't feel resentful or anything it was just a bit boring, l felt a bit boring but hey ho thems the sober breaks l suppose.

I'm kind of glad l got it over with and it passed without incident or strong emotion. Now l know lm not going to turn into a raving lunatic if l see or smell alcohol lol.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Excellent!!

And, remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation. A 'No, thanks' should be enough.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad it went well, Helianthus.

I remember in the very early days I was emotional & resentful about not being able to drink. I mean, I knew I couldn't ever again - but I was sad about it. A few months later it was a completely different story - I was jubilant, & felt so free because I no longer craved it. I knew an exciting & fun life could go on without it. I'm happy for us.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Brilliant - well done
Old 09-18-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Excellent!!

And, remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation. A 'No, thanks' should be enough.
Thanks Anna

Exactly, I don't care if anyone thinks it's strange that I'm not drinking I'm not doing it for them. Hubby seemed to need to have a reason prepared but that's ok.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I'm so glad it went well, Helianthus.

I remember in the very early days I was emotional & resentful about not being able to drink. I mean, I knew I couldn't ever again - but I was sad about it. A few months later it was a completely different story - I was jubilant, & felt so free because I no longer craved it. I knew an exciting & fun life could go on without it. I'm happy for us.
Thanks Heyvn I am too

I was starting to think that purposefully avoiding these places was going to make it so much worse when I did eventually go into one but it seems not - on this occasion at least. I'm not under any illusion that if I visit one again in a different mood I might find it more of a challenge but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
Brilliant - well done
Thanks Zanna
Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That’s great!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great report! It's really rewarding to stay sober even when other people are choosing to drink.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Every hurdle is a jump forwards. Congrats and chalk up the victory. I'm 6 nights into 11 nights all inclusive in Cancun. My first time not drinking. It's been over a year since I stopped so I booked up with apprehension. Knew it was going to possibly be a bumpy ride (all the usual triggers and feelings as this would have been carnage in old days). But it's one up for me, and all of us.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bottletop View Post
Every hurdle is a jump forwards. Congrats and chalk up the victory. I'm 6 nights into 11 nights all inclusive in Cancun. My first time not drinking. It's been over a year since I stopped so I booked up with apprehension. Knew it was going to possibly be a bumpy ride (all the usual triggers and feelings as this would have been carnage in old days). But it's one up for me, and all of us.
Wow Bottletop that's quite the test for you aswell, I hope you're having a great time and stay strong
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tell me about it. I wouldn't have done it unless I felt I could cope. Day 1 was like ground zero....but I've slowly found my feet and the people I've met have been supportive in general. I realise not everyone was/is going for it like I did/would. I also see how much easier it is for my son, who at 18 doesn't drink. He took a risk coming with me 💣💥🤪. I know the Feeling a of grief and jealousy....but righ now this is new me. Grown up me. Not the idiot me. Head high. Dignity intact. Stronger and feeling good....it's so much better than the only other way this would go. Thanks for the kind words. SR has helped so much along the way.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic work. Big pat on the back!
For the record pubs are boring in my opinion.

Booze makes the most mundane things seem interesting.
What a con!

Much better to get real life experience and find something that is actually interesting and fulfilling.

Well done again, you’re doing super duper
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
Fantastic work. Big pat on the back!
For the record pubs are boring in my opinion.

Booze makes the most mundane things seem interesting.
What a con!

Much better to get real life experience and find something that is actually interesting and fulfilling.

Well done again, you’re doing super duper
Thanks Snowyd

I only agreed to go because they had a pool table, if it had just been sitting around a table drinking I wouldn't have done it.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Helianthus

D