Notices

Day 1 was hard but I did it!

Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 was hard but I did it!

My house is not alcohol free and never will be so there were plenty of opportunities to crash and burn. I'm happy to say I made it through the day without a sip.

By 5p.m. though I just didn't feel right. I felt out of it and couldn't concentrate on anything. I even had a hard time putting a sentence together. I was super tired and really thought I would feel a lot better than I did. It's like my hangover got worse throughout the day. It was not what I was expecting at all.

When I went to bed my heart was racing and my chest was tight. Actually my chest was tight most of the day. I had an awful headache. I woke up at 2:00 am like I always do, the good news about that is that I didn't feel extremely guilty when I woke up. I was like, hmmm I guess I wake up at 2 sober or not. lol. I tossed and turned and my leg kept twitching for about 3 hours which was irritating.

But here I am, posting that I am ready for day 2. I still am extremely tired, anxious, worried, and have a general feeling of being unwell. I wonder how long that will last.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Just keep hydrated with lots of water and juices. Take it easy on yourself. It gets better hour by hour so hang in there! Great job on Day 1!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Chloe, now that you mention it I don't think I had any water. I drank way too much coffee and Coke trying to keep my energy up. My goal will be 8 glasses of water today.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job, Hillhiker! The first three days are the worst. Be ready to go to the ER if you get any really bad withdrawal symptoms. But hang in there. It’s worth it!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep it up, keep posting
Old 09-18-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The anxiety, jumpiness, sleeplessness, irritability, feeling "off" is completely normal in early days. I've experienced it and read about it here from others thousands of times.

It gets so much better. I had to give up caffeine for a while in early days, I was just too nervous and anxious. The alcohol serves as a central nervous system depressant and when it's removed everything seems pretty revved up. That settles down - but not right away. It took months for me.

Welcome to the site.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job on day 1! Like others said drink lots of water. Today’s day 4 for me and I’ve been downing fizzy water and peppermint and ginger teas. Always I’ve been keeping lots of fresh fruit on hand to replace alcohol sugars. My day 2 was rough with lots of headaches and sweaty. So be easy on yourself! You got this!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

things will get better Hillhiker

D
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job on the first day. You may experience some uncomfortable moments for the next day or two, but it slowly gets better. Congrats on your decision.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1! Keep it going!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your day 1!

The acute withdrawal phase can be really rough because your brain and body have increased the neurotransmitters that excite your nervous system (to counter the higher GABA levels that have existed due to alcohol). When you stop drinking, GABA plummets, but the neurotransmitters that were "beefed" up to balance things are still going strong. Takes a little while for that to start rebalancing. Like others said it does start to improve...I'm usually starting to feel a lot better around day 3 or so, but if drinking more before stopping it might take a little longer.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can expect to feel crappy the first few days, but it gets better after that. Just don't drink!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job Hillhiker