Notices

Upcoming work travel

Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming work travel

I used to travel a lot for work but have no t had to in almost two years, the same amount of time I’ve been sober. I have an upcoming trip leaving tomorrow for a few days. This is pretty much the only thing left that I haven’t done sober yet. Work trips have always reminded me of my college days and that work hard- play hard mentality (the play part always involving copious amounts of alcohol as a reward for a job well done). So I’m just feeling a little concerned. But actually starting to feel better as I am typing this out. I actually binged on a candy bar and some Oreo cookies thinking about it all. Oh well, at least it wasn’t alcohol and it was one of those Adkins bars, and healthy Oreos right? I guess I’m just venting. But any words of encouragement would also be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can enjoy your trip and still stay sober! I know you can do it.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good that you are aware this is going to be something new, but it sounds like you are well-grounded in recovery.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Take God with you.

Have a great time, and safe travels!

If nothing else, stay grounded in gratitude and thoughts of your cat.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've done it bunches -- gotten way better at it. Carry a glass or bottled water w/you all the time, your hands will be full. Tell the hotel to clear out any mini-bar in advance of your stay -- no need to have it sleep in the same room as you. Always be the first up from the table or out the door -- while they're making drinking plans, you're breathing fresh air. Lie -- "sorry can't hang at the bar, I have a friend in town I just have to see tonight. "

Sleep well and have the firmest handshake to be found! You'll find the whole thing much more pleasant, I guarantee
Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also it could be something to look forward to. For me the work trips historically meant break from kids, license to drink, utter exhaustion. I’m taking a work trip soon and so looking forward to good sleep, seeing the sights, doing a better job learning about other people, etc. I bet you’ll even have fun!!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, everyone! Leaving in a few hours. Feeling pretty good now.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fearless, it's so much fun to go to meetings in other places, cities and countries. What an opportunity you have---if you can get away for an hour or two.

Bring literature to read that supports recovery and one can always pray! And go to the hotel gym for some exercise.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How are you doing?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
How are you doing?
Thank you for checking in, Free. I’m doing well. I really don’t have any desire to drink. Worked out at hotel gym, had a healthy meal, and just going to get a good night sleep. I do feel a little sad and lonely, maybe just memories of bad drunk work travel times and missing my family. But I’ll get over it.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The hotel gym,posting my thoughts and eating at places I can't get here were a huge savior on my last trip(1yr ago). I had hoped the weather would hold out for some sight seeing,but it rained until the day before I left. The airport bar(s) and on the plane were also tricky for me,because that's alays been my 'norm'. It was a big challenge and I really felt so much better having made it through it/them. In a sense, I felt that trip pushed me over the 'hump' to never worrying about drinking again.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Fearless,
I had a job involving regular travel and a lot of entertaining. I used to try to plan my trips so that the hotels were handy to meetings. Actually I still do that a bit. In a week or two I will be in Bangkok. I will stay in a hotel which is walking distance to the club room, where I will find two meetings a day and with any luck, a newcomer to talk to. Doesn't matter where I am, time with a newcomer just picks me up like nothing else.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Travel triggers memories for me as well - airports, hotel rooms, new bars etc. I know that sad pang, for me its of a life I no longer live.

But it is also for a way of living I no longer believe in. Being clear, aware and present is so much a better way to live, to experience new places, to see the world and be part of it. Drunk and immobile, hungover and fragile - goodbye to those days.

Good for you for checking in. Enjoy your trip. Savor the fact you can be a better version of your self sober than you ever could have been drunk.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all is going well fearless

D
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

Great update, Fearless!
Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
I do feel a little sad and lonely, maybe just memories of bad drunk work travel times and missing my family. But I’ll get over it.
I get it. The first few sober travel times, I had to deal with all the bad feelings/fear of being alone that in former days, I drank to drown.

Nowadays I have a clearer perspective. Work can send me anywhere, but I carry home in my heart now, and my new memories grow from that.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I feel surrounded by support! I just couldn’t understand why I felt so sad last night when I know my life is so much better sober. Now it makes sense. This is my first work trip sober. That’s a lot of work trips having been drunk. Lots of memories, both good and bad. Over time, though, as my drinking got worse, it’s mainly bad memories and close calls, shameful feelings and regret over things I did and said, even in front of clients. Fortunately (or unfortunately ?) everyone else was drinking too, so incidents were either laughed off or maybe not remembered clearly by folks. Anyway, it’s a life I’ve left behind, and I feel good about this now. A nice unexpected surprise today was work mates who took my suggestion that we all grab a latte after our meeting instead of heading to the local bar. That was super cool . One more day to go. Though I’m not letting my guard down, feeling pretty strong about getting through this.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad it's going well for you.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is good

A nice unexpected surprise today was work mates who took my suggestion that we all grab a latte after our meeting

Very cool! As I keep expecting good surprises, I keep finding them.

Safe travels!