Notices

Long time drinker

Old 09-16-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time drinker

Hi All,

My first time posting.
Thought it worth telling my story so far. I have been drinking for 45-46 years as I am 61 years old.
I was initially in a very powerful job in London and as a very young man of 20 years old.
I was that good at my profession and I was constantly in meetings with 40 to 50 year old senior professionals.
Looking back this was a very anxious situation and all my life I had been informed by society (without questioning this) that alcohol is a good calming tool.
My life has been stressful as I am a driven individual and it was only on my 60th Birthday celebrations, with constant drinking that I realised that alcohol was making me unwell.
I stopped there and then and have not touched a drop from that moment on. I would say I was a moderate drinker as I was not constantly drinking but when I did it was difficult to stop.
The initial feelings from withdrawal were horrible as I had the first time in my life a depressive episode which shocked me at how helpless and pointless I felt life was.....scary. Thereinafter I have had the most awful anxiety, scared of social situations and the dark etc.
Over the last few months (I have been sober for 388 days now) things have been improving but boy, was this an awful year of literally frightening anxiety.
I am sorry for the long post but felt it worth mentioning my age and drinking duration for those who think it is hopeless in later years to stop.

Take care all.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and glad things are improving for you.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the anxiety Billck1 but congrats on your sober time

D
Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Billck1, hope things continue to improve for you!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 388 days of sobriety Bill! You might want to check with your health care provider about anxiety. There are lots of healthy and natural ways that really do help, such as exercise, breathing exercises, meditation, and herbal teas. Good luck to you. Thanks for sharing your story. It's really fantastic that you made this positive change at age 60!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Bilick 1, I am older as well , 58 and a heavy binge drinker for 38 years, really crazy in my twenties and early thirties, slowed down when I got married, picked up again when I became an empty nester kids in college, alcohol was a social Lubricant for me, buzzed I can talk and socialize with anyone, sober a different story very uncomfortable around social settings without alcohol, I hope this becomes better , they say it should with time, I am only 52 days sober. I am glad you posted if feel we are in minority most of the postings are from younger posters., they had the brains to stop before me.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting.
It is a hard thing to do, stop drinking after so many years, but you have done it.
This is a good reminder that change for the better is always possible.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting, BillCK1, and congrats on the sobriety. I'm 58 and had been drinking pretty regularly since I was about 18. While I have not been able to put as many days together in a row as you have, I continue to try. I feel a greater sense of urgency to be sober all the time as I get older.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiring post and congrats on over a year of sobriety. One regret I’ve had these past four years (the time I’ve really tried to kick the habit) is how each year I’m older and how it might be too late to stop.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have been to the doctor and he has prescribed me sertraline to help.
I only have a small 50mg dose and I made sure it would not impact on my withdrawal in any way.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a fantastic inspiring post. Thank you for sharing.