Notices

Weekender Thread 14-17 September 2018

Old 09-13-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekender Thread 14-17 September 2018

Hi There!

I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time, and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

D
Old 09-13-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Shotgun!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Dee, I know you have a lot on your plate and thought you might have forgotten.

I was going to OP with this if you had.

Fridays. It was the anticipation that signalled the arrival of another weekend. A working week with its pressures and disappointments, drawing to a close. Aa a younger man it meant I would soon be lost in a kaleidoscope of pubs, bars and clubs and my drinking meant I remember none of it. It also meant I had only intermittent success with the opposite sex who were often in the same state as I was.

As a middle aged divorced person, Fridays and Saturdays were an even sadder story of going home, making a few phone calls to pretend I was OK and then slumping in front of the TV with a bottle of scotch for some sustained alcohol abuse.

Waking up Saturday and Sunday? Awful. Living hell, it really was, being alive was physically and mentally a pain. Self destruction writ large and without even a real motive.

SR is about breaking out of our cycle of despair and Weekenders is for the time when the urge to self destruct is at its peak for many of us. We can post and share common experiences, good or bad, funny or serious so one minute there might be a debate about Spam or Snagglepuss but if someone is struggling everyone rallies round.

At the end of the day it's about reclaiming our humanity from a ruthless gaoler. Isn't it?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Sao

thanks for your thoughts - I certainly never dreamed I could live weekends like this again - it's magic

D
Old 09-13-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee This thread seems to come around faster all the time. I love weekends now, I still treat myself to hot chocolate and ice-cream like I did in the early days. I think especially in the early days, it's vital to mark the weekend with some treat, to stop yourself feeling left out. I don't really need to do that anymore, but hey...its the weekend and I'm greedy when it comes to ice-cream
Have a safe and sober one everyone and stay strong.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Friday morning's colour theme would appear to be grey, never mind, it's still Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180914_073916.jpg (53.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not likely to forget to start it, but if anyone ever wants to start a weekender thread one week with some thoughts, just PM me

D
Old 09-14-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep- good this
Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders! Been a while, but I’m still here and in for a sober weekend with you guys. My vacation in Poland turned into ‘I might as well move back to Poland’ , so that keeps me busy, looking for a flat and all... I’m not sure if it’s a good idea, it’s been almost a decade since my first day in Scotland and I dunno... I’m lost and confused. I felt like home in the UK, but I do have a better support system here, friends and family, and I definitely be less isolated. Also living is a bit cheaper so I can afford taking time trying to figure things out... We’ll see.

17 days sober today... AVRT helps me a great deal, but I want to give AA in Warsaw a try as well. My friends and family know that I’m no longer a drinker and they’re very supportive. I’m gonna need my meds, and I’m not entirely sure how the health system works here, but I made an appointment with a psychiatrist for next week. Hm.

I miss my cat Tommy... I’m gonna try to bring him here, even though it’s gonna cost me a fortune. I just don’t want him to suffer in transit... I don’t know what to do. I need to think.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Looking forward to a sober weekend. I'm busier this weekend than I would like, but perhaps that is good at this early stage of recovery.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
Friday night here. First week back at work done and dusted and I’m beat. 7.20pm and thinking about bed. I only had 2 major teary meltdowns today, the least in weeks (I know the night isn’t over yet) ... One was a rather big one in a telstra (telephone company) shop trying to sort out my Mum’s phone cancellation and final bill I walked out in tears without getting it sorted... perhaps I’ll just hand it over to the solicitor along with the rest of her stuff ....I’ve temporarily put it in the too hard basket.... I’m still a bit too emotional to deal with some things .
I think I’ll go to bed early again. I’ve been so very tired lately, all the emotional stuff going on I guess.
But no drinking, just the sweet tooth that I keep feeding lol

Have a good Friday everyone
Old 09-14-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bless you Willow. Sending love and hugs.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing you can;t sort out Sbuf
Willow - Telstra's bought many people to tears for less - hand it over to the solicitor

D
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Michael, I envy you a busy weekend. I agree that being busy is good early on … too much idle time is tough on sobriety. And weekends can be so full of drinking friends, events and temptations!

Willow, I do think being tired is entirely normal given what you are going through. Sleep must feel like a wonderful escape. Hang in there, and know that everyone on this chain is here for you no matter what the hour!

I'm sitting here dreading the weekend, which is really backwards. I need to be excited about some time off, and try to find ways to fill the days with fun, sober activities (and a little quiet time, as well)! Need to give this some thought …

Happy weekend to all of you! And to those in the path of the hurricane, you are in my heart this weekend! Stay safe!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders

I'm in.

Hope everyone is doing ok and if not please hang on in there, things will get better.

I hadn't heard the following song until a month or two ago and since then it's become part of a soundtrack to my sobriety. I particularly like this version.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for the thread Dee.
Sao you have a way, you really know how to put down those words. Good post.

Willow, we've been dealing with Uncles estate since March, it gets quite frustering sometimes. So many different laws, rules and demand to ust get the simplest things done.

I posted this in early risers and on the sober bus threads this morning:

I've lost some of that bushy tailed enthusiasm for the early mornings that I had in early sobriety. But nothing beats waking up sober with a tune in my heart. I'm looking forward to my Friday treat - breakfast in the cafeteria. Which I pay for with cash that I would otherwise not have. Being between paydays, this Friday I would've had a pocket full of quarters and dimes and empties to return. Just enough to buy the booze I needed for one more night. That change and empty cans would been counted a dozen times over - an obsession to ensure I would 'survive' another night.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

How is it going?

Congrats on shotgun, Sao. And I missed your London pictures.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

OMAGOSH! you just made my weekend MB! Soooo happy to see you!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, you’re all awesome ❤️

You’re right Dee, I’m totally over Telstra, the solicitor can deal with them...

Zoeydog maybe think of some fun things you enjoy, I’m actually looking forward to sleeping a lot this weekend and reading a book on the couch between sleeping and maybe a yoga class sometime in there as well

Great song John, not heard of it before but I really enjoyed it