Notices

Need (and Want) to Stop Again

Old 09-11-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need (and Want) to Stop Again

Hey there fellow SRs! Just wanted to check in and say that I've decided to stop drinking (for about the millionth time).

A little backstory...in Fall 2014 I was in horrible shape as I was drinking a lot of vodka every day. I was able to stop cold turkey, but that caused horrible withdrawal and post-withdrawal problems ultimately leading to me going inpatient for several days...won't ever do that again!

Part of my earlier heavy drinking was that I have an underlying problem with anxiety and depression (since I was a kid) and was "medicating" it away with that heavy drinking. We all know how that can play out.

Fast forward to today...I've gotten the underlying mental issues more or less under control with a med I've been taking about four years and have learned a lot of coping skills that really help. However, I still just like to drink. It had been mostly one glass a day and maybe two for a long time, but lately I've been creeping into the 3/4 to whole bottle range which cannot continue because it makes me feel like crap after doing that for a few days and is slowly raising my blood pressure.

I plan on tapering down with one glass (possibly two) per day and then bring it to zero *fingers crossed*. Thank God I'm not where I was back in 2014, but again it has to stop.

Everyone is always so supportive of each other here and I appreciate your time and great insight!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Plure and welcome back.

I'm glad you've noticed that your consumption is increasing and that you are ready to stop drinking. I believe that stopping drinking completely is easier than tapering for alcoholics. I do hope that it works for you, and I hope you will continue to post and let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you back, Plure. You sound ready - let's do it.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Plure! As Anna has said, if you're an alcoholic drinker, then quitting rather than tapering is definitely the best action to take. it sounds like you're definitely determined to stop, so may as well go the whole way and ditch booze now

Wishing you luck!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, will keep you posted! And yes there won't be much tapering, let me tell ya!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Plure, congrats on your decision, I hope it works out for you!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is so good to see you, Plure; welcome back.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Welcome back. Tapering was never an option for me, once I had a drink in me all bets of plans or predictably were out the window. Maybe it will work for you, I hope so! Just be brutally honest with yourself, the alcoholic voice will do its best to convince you to continue!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Congrats on the recognition of a red flag and the decision to stop drinking. I too enjoyed drinking and didn't want to stop entirely because I couldn't imagine ever enjoying a beverage as much as I did beer. I thought that if I could keep my consumption to 3 beers everything would be fine. The flaw in that logic was that I am an alcoholic and the time period between the 3 beer consumption kept getting shorter and shorter until it was, if I was awake, I was consuming one of my 3 beers.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice to chat to you in the chatroom earlier Plure. Glad you are here.

As I said there, tapering never works for me, like others in this thread. The only drink I ever had a choice over was the first one. I hope you find a way that works for you and hopefully chat again soon.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Plure

D
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are going to try and taper make sure you set a date where you will be at 0 and stick to it. If not the 0 date never comes.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
If you are going to try and taper make sure you set a date where you will be at 0 and stick to it. If not the 0 date never comes.
Yes I definitely agree...that day is going to be tomorrow or Friday...maybe today!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Plure

Good decision to stop!

If you're worried about coming off alcohol, remember your doctor can help with at-home detox to more safely come off alcohol.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
Hey Plure

Good decision to stop!

If you're worried about coming off alcohol, remember your doctor can help with at-home detox to more safely come off alcohol.
I did talk to him about it and he was recommending the short taper...more so to avoid a spike in blood pressure. He did give me an increase in my blood pressure medicine (beta blocker), which I’ve read can help blunt any such spikes, so I think I’m ready to go.