Notices

Reconnecting with SR

Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Reconnecting with SR

Hi All,
It has been a very long time since I posted!
I am sober now 21mths and life is infinitely better. I have discovered what it feels like to be happy. I'm not talking 'over the top' happy but a fairly persistent and pervading emotion of contentment and gratitude for the blessings in my life and the personal growth I have experienced thus far.
As seems to be the way in sobriety life gets busier and I am finding I have to work my program in a more conscious manner. Although I still go each week, my number of AA meetings have decreased to 1 per week. I still have my Sponsor, as well as some good AA friends whom I have regular contact with outside of the fellowship.
That being said, I am still an alcoholic with a mind full of thoughts that will try and trip me up! So here is my question - how do YOU know if you are doing enough to work your program? AA or otherwise.
Thanks for reading xx
Old 09-10-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know I'm doing what it takes to maintain sobriety when I wake up sober and feeling good.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I know I'm doing what it takes to maintain sobriety when I wake up sober and feeling good.
Thanks least. So simple really isn't it but of course I WILL try and over complicate it!
I am feeling like my life is just flowing along so perhaps I am doing enough. It is good to be back here on SR reading around.
This is where my journey started 😊
Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to see you again, Scruffanie. I'm so glad you're happy with your new life.

The word you used - contentment - is how I'd describe my current state. If I no longer feel content & begin looking for something 'more' I'll know I need to work harder on my sobriety. I once thought being sober would be so dull. Then I found out being numb & foggy all the time was the epitome of dull.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn for your reply. It is good to be here again and also to see some familiar names 😊
Yes! Contentment.. still a new feeling for me and one I do not want to lose.

Very glad to hear you are feeling it too
Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey scruff. I see you are another'strain. Are there gangs of disillusioned ex PM's roaming the streets there?

What I do to know I am 'working the program'....
- regular visits with a psychologist (CBT based)
- regular contact with my addiction counselor
- regular checkups with my GP
- 1 to 2 meets a weeks (we are of a similar sobriety)- and I have a sponsor
- journal writing

These let me know if I am 'off'.
Also if self care (showering, eating etc) falls behind...it usually means the brain needs balancing with reality.
If I begin to isolate- I make sure I am around humans every day and make an effort (regardless of how banal or superficial it seems) to talk to people.
My sense of humour is dark. If people notice it is getting more weird than usual- again a barometer for something is wrong
- if I want to resist doing something- it usually means I really should do it (like going to meetings)
- if I drink too much coffee, or sweeties- again something wrong.
For everyday stress..I use the HALTS bit.

Lastly- PAIN. Be it emotional, mental, physical ..pain is a red flag something is not right and it needs attention.
If I am in doubt about anything- I ask a professional rather than use Dr Google.

Support to you.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations scruffanie - good to see you again

I basically look to be happy and sober...and always knowing what to do if I find myself in trouble...plans are good

DF
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 21 months! I don't go to AA and don't have a sobriety program per se, but I am constantly looking to improve my life in all ways.

That said, I am wary of imbalance - too much of anything, whether working, drinking, eating, slothful behaviour and even "virtuous" things, like exercising and perfectionism - these are warning signs that I am slipping into the bad thinking that made me reliant on alcohol to feel good about myself.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some very good and helpful posts , thanx
Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MissP, great advice thank you! X
Dee and Phoenix, so good to see you both here again ��Phoenix, you may not recall or even realise but you are one of the reasons I am sober today. You responded to my very first post, suggested AA and gave some very helpful advice and support, though I have just returned here at SR, I have not forgotten yours, and others, part in my sobriety so an extra big thank you to you!!
And lol, I think those polies got lost a lonnnng time ago.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are most welcome Scruff......united we stand...