Self-care

Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Self-care

Praying and meditating this morning and the topic of self care is at the forefront of my thoughts. Exploring more of the whole concept.

----

So, what is self-care, and why is it so important? As it turns out, there are many different self-care practices, and not all of them suit everyone. This guide will take you through the reasons why you need at least some sort of self-care in your routine.

Self-care is a broad term that encompasses just about anything you to do be good to yourself. In a nutshell, it’s about being as kind to yourself as you would be to others. It’s partly about knowing when your resources are running low, and stepping back to replenish them rather than letting them all drain away.

Meanwhile, it also involves integrating self-kindness into your life in a way that helps to prevent even the possibility of a burnout.

Top 5 Benefits Of Self Care

1. Better productivity.

When you learn how to say “no” to things that over-extend you and start making time for things that matter more, you slow life down in a wonderful way.

This brings your goals into sharper focus and helps you to concentrate on what you’re doing.

2. Improved resistance to disease.

There is evidence that most self-care activities activate your parasympathetic nervous system (PNS). What this means is that your body goes into a restful, rejuvenating mode, helping it to fortify its immune system. So, with better self-care often comes fewer colds, cases of flu and upset stomachs.

3. Enhanced self-esteem.

When you regularly carve out time that’s only about being good to yourself and meeting your own needs, you send a positive message to your subconscious. Specifically, you treat yourself like you matter and have intrinsic value. This can go a long way toward discouraging negative self-talk and your critical inner voice.

3. Increased self-knowledge.

Practicing self-care requires thinking about what you really love to do. The exercise of figuring out what makes you feel passionate and inspired can help you understand yourself a lot better. Sometimes, this can even spark a change in career or a reprioritization of previously abandoned hobbies.

4. More to give.

When you’re good to yourself, you might think you’re being selfish. In truth, self-care gives the resources needed to be kind to others as well.

Types Of Self Care

One of the main excuses people make for ignoring articles about self-care is that they just don’t have time. The great news is that there are many different self-care practices, and none of them are especially difficult or require a lot of planning. The trick is to find some that you genuinely enjoy and that fit with your life and values. Once you start adding emotional self-care to your life, you’re likely to become fiercely protective of that time and wonder how you ever managed without it!

Here are the five main categories of self-care, along with explanations of how they help you. We’ll also look at specific self-care examples within categories, which should get you thinking about activities you’ll particularly like.

1. Sensory

Sensory self-care is all about helping to calm your mind.

When you are able to tune into the details of the sensations all around you, it’s easier to live in the present moment. And when you’re in the present, you can more effectively let go of resentments related to the past or anxieties about the future.

When you think about practicing sensory self-care, consider all of your senses: touch, smell, sound, and sight.

Most people are more responsive to one than the others, so ask yourself what that sense might be for you.

The following examples of sensory self-care involve at least one sense, but often more.

Sensory Self-Care Ideas

- Cuddling up under a soft blanket.
- Going to the countryside and focusing on the smell of the air.
- Watching the flames of a candle or a fire.
- Feeling the water on your skin during a hot bath or shower.
- Focusing on the movements of your own breathing.
- Lying down and listening to music with your eyes closed.
- Sitting in the heat of the afternoon sun.
- Having a small square of the most delicious chocolate.
- Walking barefoot in the grass.
- Having a massage with essential oils.
- Holding a pet in your arms.

2. Emotional

When it comes to your emotional health, one of the best self-care tips is to make sure you fully engage with your emotions. When you face them head-on, this actually helps with stress.

You may feel tempted to push down feelings like sadness or anger, but it’s healthy to feel them, accept them, and move on.

Remember that emotions are not “good” or “bad” in themselves. You are not blameworthy for the emotions you feel; only how you behave in response to them.

On this theme, consider any one or more of the following if you want to practice better emotional self-care…

Emotional Self-Care Ideas

- Keep a daily journal, and be totally honest about your feelings.
- See a therapist, even if it’s just for 8-10 sessions of general personal development.
- Write a list of “feeling words” to expand your emotional vocabulary.
- Make time to be with a friend or family member who truly understands you.
- Let yourself cry when you need to.
- Deliberately encourage yourself to laugh with old memories or funny videos.
- Sing along to the song that best expresses your current emotions.

3. Spiritual

Spiritual self-care is applicable to atheists and agonistics as much as to those who relate to being spiritual or religious.

Spiritual self-care is about getting in touch with your values and what really matters to you.

Self-care tips for depression often stress that developing a sense of purpose is vital to your recovery. Below are some versatile examples that can help you with this.

Spiritual Self-Care Ideas

- Keep up a daily meditation or mindfulnesspractice.
- Attend a service, whether it is religious or humanistic.
- Read poetry.
- Walk in nature and reflecting on the beauty around you.
- Make a daily list of 5-10 things that make you feel grateful.
- Be creative, whether through art, music, writing or something else entirely.
- Make a list of 5-10 things that make you feel alive, then ask yourself how you can better incorporate these things into your life.
- Say affirmations that ground your sense of self and purpose.
- Go on a trip with the sole purpose of photographing things that inspire you.

4. Physical

The importance of self-care definitely extends to purely physical aspects of your health. Physical activity is vital not only for your bodily well-being but also for helping you let off steam.

Physical Self-Care Ideas

- Dance to your favorite songs
- Do yoga. Even if you’ve never tried it, there are poses that are perfect for beginners.
- Join a class and learn a new sport.
- Go running.
- Go running with your dog (or a friend’s)
- Cycle through the countryside.
- Simply go for a walk.

In addition, remember that physical self-care is as much about the things you don’t do as the things you do! So:

- Nap when you need to. Just 20 minutes can make you feel mentally and physically refreshed.
- Say “no” to invitations when you’re simply too tired to enjoy them.
- Don’t push yourself to do your exercise routine when you’re run down or unwell.
- Commit to 7-9 hours of sleep per night, barring exceptional circumstances.

5. Social

Finally, social self-care is another category that’s important for us all.

It might look different depending on whether you’re an introvert or extrovert. However, connecting with other people is necessary for happiness for a large diversity of people.

It helps you to understand that you’re not alone. Plus, it can also give us a sense of being fully “seen” by others. This can, in particular, help us combat loneliness and isolation.

Social self-care isn’t about just doing things with others for the sake of it, but about choosing to do things with people who really make you feel good.

Social Self-Care Ideas

- Make a date to have lunch or dinner with a great friend.
- Write an email to someone who lives far away, but who you miss.
- Reach out to someone you like but haven’t seen in a while.
- Consider joining a group of people who share your interests.
- Stop socializing with those who undermine or disempower you.
- Strike up a conversation with someone interesting.
- Join a support group for people who struggle with the same things you do.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Make a list of 5-10 things that make you feel alive, then ask yourself how you can better incorporate these things into your life.

This feels like a good one for me to start working on.

1. Kayaking
2. Photography
3. Music

These come easy. Looking forward to what comes up for me in new ways to use these in my life and with finding more!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really love this thread! Very appreciated Mango! I'm sharing with my mum and sister. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Strike up a conversation with someone interesting.

Recognizing this as good self-care today. Also: giving myself credit for healthy actions.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Write a list of “feeling words” to expand your emotional vocabulary.

New perspectives. A rich emotional vocabulary can be a great connection to feeling, acknowledging and moving towards different emotions.

At first this encompassed many trauma related emotions. Now my emotional vocabulary is filling up with many wonderful emotions I'm feeling.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Self-care:
1. Better productivity.

When you learn how to say “no” to things that over-extend you and start making time for things that matter more, you slow life down in a wonderful way.

This brings your goals into sharper focus and helps you to concentrate on what you’re doing.

Adding onto this is the skill of:

'Learning To Expect Good News!'

I choose to let other news be like dust, easily swept away by winds of change. Not needing my attention or response.

I expect to hear good news.

I allow clarity of thoughts and actions.

I allow ease, productivity and joy.

---

I'm making plans for next year. As I slow down, enjoy the day, meditate and put all kinds of self-care first, everthing else is falling into place. Many available options, with ones that speak to my heart becoming more and more quickly evident.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

When it comes to your emotional health, one of the best self-care tips is to make sure you fully engage with your emotions. When you face them head-on, this actually helps with stress.

Emotions engaged. My first therapy appointment introduced me to open heart meditations. I'm very thankful for this.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

I am really looking forward to hot yoga tonight. Allowing my body and mind to relax, engage in new ways, setting an intent of:

Strengthening my gut instincts.

Releasing tension.

Allowing joy, playfulness and fun.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Booked another countryside break with my dog for next March. Booked two shows one in January one in February. Am considering starting a dance class in December. Am planning to buy a bike. Am visiting a good friend for lunch on Monday. Have cuddles with my dog everyday.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm terrible at self care, but trying to be mindful of it and be better to myself. I am not only doing this for myself, but I realize I am modeling the behavior for my daughter, which helps to motivate me.

I painted my nails 2 days ago. I usually neglect them because they chip so quickly with housework, but I just did it. Sounds small, I know. I'll be darned if the mom in the car next to me at the Wal-Mart pickup spot complimented me on them and asked what color they were. She probably didn't think a thing of it afterwards, but it made my afternoon.

I have a $100 gift card to the salon our family uses. I've been saving it for the next time I need my hair done, but I think I'm going to book myself a massage. Its been about 5 years since I've had one and my back is tighter than tight.

I talked to my dad today. I don't know if I've ever spoken about him here, but he was the non-alcoholic, stable breadwinner of my childhood. He'd let me go up to his office on weekends and spin around in the chairs and write on the eraser boards when they were new (not chalk boards! showing my age, here). We lived near a body of water and we'd sit on a park bench and we'd just talk. I always loved that he'd talk to me like a person; not just a kid. Anyways, he's frugal as all get-out. It blew me away today when he encouraged me to go out and spend some money, just on me. He told me to go further my education. Get all the therapy I need. Get a dang massage. I needed to hear it.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

gardening, being with pets,painting
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'm giving my feet a very warm foot bath tonight. I'm snuggled with a warm blanket on a really comfy couch and added sea salt and magnesium to the water basin.

Plans to also give myself a much deserved foot massage. I have a favorite healing lotion, and with the emotional beating I've been through lately I am grateful for all healing paths.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is good

After meditating this afternoon I did a very simple focus wheel. It's a circle with the words self-care inside in. The outside of the focus wheel is blank this time, yet it represents everything else other than self-care.

I've been asking for clarity, and this is very clear to me.

Sel-care goals today:

>> Remain focused on this.

>> Pause often, to pray, to allow God room to work in my life.

>> Leftovers for dinner. Good luck hot panang curry and rice. A favorite restaurant was closed when I called them yesterday. The person took my order anyway and invited me to stop by.

>> Play time with puppy.

>> Pay an important bill and finish my tax return.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Firstly the 'HALTS' model, if hungry, angry, lonely, tired/thirsty -r sad/stressed...fix it or get help.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is good

Simply a bump. Prioritizing awareness of self-care today.