Notices

Decisions

Old 09-09-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decisions

I drank heavily for too many years. I basically turned what was a pretty good life early on into an unliveable one later on by making terrible decisions either while drinking or while hung over and not thinking correctly. My question (admittedly a stupid one) is that WHEN drinking is fun and youre having a great time, why is it impossible to make one good decision? Or maybe some people do and everything i did while saucing turned to ****. Just a random thought.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Accord1 View Post
I drank heavily for too many years. I basically turned what was a pretty good life early on into an unliveable one later on by making terrible decisions either while drinking or while hung over and not thinking correctly. My question (admittedly a stupid one) is that WHEN drinking is fun and youre having a great time, why is it impossible to make one good decision? Or maybe some people do and everything i did while saucing turned to ****. Just a random thought.
Nah, not really a stupid question. I think a lot of us have asked ourselves these things.

However; there does come a point where getting answers to these types of questions starts to miss the point. Some questions don't have answers. Some questions don't need answers.

I doubt very seriously you are the only person that's ever had everything turn to **** while saucing. In fact, I'd bet everything on it. As I hope you'll learn - that's just our over-active egos (part of the booze problem to being with) thinking we are the center of the universe.

The far more pressing and urgent and important question is - are you ready to quit? To hell with what everyone else is doing. To hell with how you've lived your life up to this point. This is about you and your life - now and going forward. What do you want it to look like? You can have it if you want it.

Best to you-

B
Old 09-09-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The question I couldn't answer was why do I keep drinking when the bad decisions and ill-effects are so obviously the result of drinking?

One day I figured it out: I'm addicted to alcohol.

Once I figured that out I went through a long period of being mad at myself for it. It was difficult, but at least it gave me some solid problems to work on.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 09-09-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I’d agree with the others...the turning point for me with me was when I stopped asking “why” and simply accepted that i cannot drink without consequences.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why kept me drinking. Thinking my way out or around my alcoholism simply didn't work. As much as I bristled at sayings like "It is what it is" when I first heard them in AA....spot on and key to acceptance of my disease, plain and simple.

I just can't drink like a regular old person, so I finally stopped. Life got better and so much easier in every way.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

alcohol is a drug- it changes how we think
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and support to you
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well alcohol lowers inhibitions. Those little things are what keep us from thinking something is a good idea, when it really isn't. Its chemically reinforced stupidity. And then drink HUGE amounts, like addicts do, and well....what could possibly go wrong?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For many I know alcohol is a stress-relief, a take-it-or-leave-it proposition, a once and a while indulgence. I know many people who leave half a glass of wine unfinished at the dinner table.

And then there are people like me - who will slug back the half full wine glass while my friend is not looking, after sneaking shots of cheap vodka on the subway on my way to dinner, and then drink until I pass out on the couch after.

Knowing and ACCEPTING on which side of that line I fall was part of me getting sober.