Notices

Plugging along

Old 09-08-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Plugging along

Not sure of the exact time frame, but my last major drink was June 23rd. After consultation with my sponsor my sobriety date has been reset to August 2nd. On the 1st of August I brought a glass of wine to my lips, a slight amount of alcohol entered my mouth. I did it intentionally in a moment of awkwardness with my employer. Other than that instance I have kept far away from alcohol. But it is unavoidable and there are times I get nervous. Not having a car anymore I do most of my shopping around my little village. The shops are just one big room, not aisles where the wine aisle can be avoided. Most places I go- the bakery, the butcher, the fruit and veg, the market all have wine on display for sale. It doesn't bother me too much but I take care to say a little prayer before entering any shop. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am slowly climbing through the bureaucratic mess of being unemployed and the DUI. To be clear the unemployment was not due to my alcoholism (though I suppose everything is due to my alcoholism in a roundabout way) but my performance while under the influence of a messy, heavy mix of psychiatric meds. My unemployment benefits got denied due to a mix-up regarding my independent contractor billing number. I have gone back to try and sort that out and they said that this is the last ditch effort, if they are denied again that is it, no more tries. Here's hoping.... I really need that help. But I have stayed calm over it, never once getting out of control or thinking of drinking over it.

The papers regarding my driving license finally came, after over two months. They said it would arrive after 10 days but this is Italy after all... My license is revoked for nine months. In November I can go for drug and alcohol testing (mandatory) and possibly see that time reduced. In any case, I still have to re-take the exam and apply for my license and also buy a new car as mine was confiscated forever per the law. It will take time and money so I don't anticipate much happening in November other than the blood, urine and hair test. If for some reason I do not pass these medical tests the license will be revoked for an additional nine months. So best to stay clean and make sure my liver enzymes are in order. I am slightly concerned about my various medications affecting my liver enzymes. If I result as even slightly out of the norm it counts as a failure. But worrying will do nothing for that. The best thing I can do now is stay away from alcohol, drink plenty of water, eat well, exercise. All things that I am doing daily, doing happily.

The very best thing that has happened is my purchase of a cargo bike. I mean life changing outstanding! I was in a panic worrying about how I would get my children around, mainly to school, and didn't know what to do. I researched various bikes online and found these amazing cargo bikes. I bought an Italian brand (most are dutch) called Panda Bike. It is as good as a car, even better. The kids adore it, absolutely love going for rides in it. It rides smooth and fast and is easy to pedal even uphill due to the electric assist. It has seatbelts for four kids, a large cover for the box area which keeps out rain and elements, an integrated lock, front headlights, rear warning lights, a locked storage area under one of the benches.... We have fixed it up by adding extra padding under the seating cover as well as a basket and cell phone holder up front for me, a rear-view mirror and a few other things. We make quite a scene around town, everyone stopping us to ask about it or look at it, which I don't much mind but makes a positive impression on the kids. They were upset at first and embarrassed about us not having a car but seeing how much people love and admire the bike has helped a lot. One quite funny story, the other day we were going into town and I was on the main road. I had stopped at a roundabout and a police car puled up next to me and rolled down the window... it was the two officers who has stopped me for the DUI! The one said "buongiorno signora!" smiling. I looked over at him and just laughed I said "ehi! You like it, huh?!" We all just laughed as I rode away.

Anyway, looking forward to another sober day. Off to search some job sites, priority number one.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The cargo bike sounds great Mera - I'm glad everything else seems to be coming together too

D
Old 09-08-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The bike does sound terrific, Mera! What a great idea!

I'll be praying that you get a great new job soon (or that your unemployment comes through), and that your liver enzymes are normal for your blood test in November.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Support to you
Old 09-08-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m glad you are finding a way. Good on you, Mera!
Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, I follow your posts with interest! That bike sounds awesome, way to go.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I googled the bike! Well heck yeah I bet the kids love that!! And so much safer than those little, whatever they are calleds, that people tow behind them.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you updated us Mera. Best thoughts and support to you.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting, I relate a lot to what you're going through. Glad to hear you're staying strong!
Old 09-08-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, your words uplift me and help keep me strong.

The bike, I can't say enough about it. I highly recommend checking one out if you are in need due to not having a car, but also just as an alternative to a car. It is pollution free, comfortable to get around in for short to medium trips, easy parking, no taxes, no gas to pay for, no insurance or other fees, kids love it, the list goes on.

I was feeling pretty positive and chipper this morning. That has taken a drastic downturn. I started working on my job search. My best friend in the US who is highly motivated professionally has been searching on my behalf and sending me links to jobs with US companies that are hiring in Italy and/or may consider distance work from home. There is a great job listed in Milan that may be suitable for at home work (I am three hours from Milan) and I want to apply. The problem is I only have my CV in Italian!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So now I am working on translating my CV back into English. CV stuff is so irritating, the writing, the formatting, all of it. But it must be done, so here I go.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a strong and awesome woman you are! You inspire me.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mera,

Stringing them clean days together is awesome.

No more sips, slips, or shots for either of us.

Clock resetting sucks. But that is nothing compared to dying of booze addiction.

Right?

Sounds like you are living a great sober life. Playing the cards we are dealt is all we can do. No regrets, no remorse.

Forward!

When I was physically addicted to booze I thought I was missing out on life by not drinking.

Now I know I will miss out on life if I drink.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good Luck Mera

D
Old 09-08-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

so good to hear from you, Mera.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are one impressive lady, Mera! Prayers going up and good wishes for all that you've got coming up and for the job hunt.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

I got a lot done yesterday, relatively speaking. I translated my CV and applied for two good jobs.
Today I updated my linked in profile and also registered on glass door. If anyone has suggestions for other job sites I'd love to hear them! I found a few other opportunities I am going to apply for. I'll do that this evening, in a half an hour I have an English student arriving for a lesson and need to do a couple of photocopies to prepare.

My best friend keeps sending me links to job openings in Italy and remote work opportunities, she is supporting me mentally too. She is too good to me, I am very appreciative of all she does for me.

Anyway, keep the prayers and good wishes coming, I could definitely use them! My situation is a tricky one with the DUI and restrictive location that brings, as well as the hours I am available to work with the children. But I know something will come if I stay the course and stay sober.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I too had to look up Panda Bike. Very cool means of transport, Mera.

Stay the course and stay sober, and good things will happen!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mine is the Panda Bike Minivan, the 2018 edition with the wood grain box. I love itttttttttt!!!!!!

I rode this morning to the police station. I had a few questions about the letter they gave me regarding my license. Specifically it was unclear exactly when, where and how I needed to do the medical tests. They informed me that someone will call me and I will need to present myself for testing within 24 hours. So that is good to know that I don't really need to do anything but stay sober.

I will also have to be evaluated psychologically. I'm pretty nuts, but I think I'll pass that!
Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just looked it up, Mera. The cargo bike minivan really is cool! I'm glad your kids like it!
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear that you're moving forward with things, Mera. I hope that you find a job that's a good fit for you. The bike sounds fun.