It's all good

Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's all good

So, I just shared on another thread about my co-dependent mom, managed to recognize that I'm super angry and resentful about her behavior and need to calm down. So here we go, update and things that are good:

I'm in and out of F&F, but not really sharing a whole lot lately. Work is work, I'm still single-parenting it with DS. Some days, it's everything and all I could possibly want, and other days, I wish I had a partner to talk with, who could chip in on handling the grown-up responsibilities. But for the most part I'm good.

DS is an amazing; we've both made it almost all the way through his first year as a newly minted teenager. For the past couple years, I've had to tilt my head up to see his face when we talk. I'm coming to terms with that, mainly because it is what it is and it's not going to change. I'm certainly not going to be getting any taller. He made it into the secondary school that we hoped for. It's an alternative school in the district with a lottery to attend, but still a public school, so there's no tuition. He seems to like it so far and I've been able make arrangements so he can go on a school sponsored trip to Japan next summer.

The cat we'd adopted, Sasuke (as in Naruto's frenemy), is doing well. When we got him, they said he was full grown, but he'd been dealing with kennel cough, and not eating well, so the vet wanted him to eat better and get up to 11 lbs. Well, he wasn't full grown, and is a least part Maine Coon. He's a giant and over twice the size as he was when we got him. He's a big ole goof ball who has his boy wrapped around his paw.

I went back to school. For the past year, I've been working on Masters degree and I just finished my classes. I now hold a Masters degree! Which is HUGE! I'm so proud of myself because, honestly, about 1/2 way through I was wondering wtf I was doing it for. Or at least wondering why I wasn't taking the route that stretched over 2 years.

And this is going to sound so silly after that, but as my graduation gift to myself, I splurged on a pair of Doc Marten 1420/92 boots to replace a pair I'd had. I loved those boots, but a guy walked up and gave me compliment about them one day when I was out with AXH and that was that, he tossed them. But I found a pair and they're everything my grunge-geek self from the 90's remembers.

Feel free to share your good news if you like.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

First congratulations on the Masters! You rock, and rock even more when you're wearing your docs. I can't believe that story about throwing out your favourite boots because a man complimented you. That's grounds for divorce on its own.

Your cat sounds awesome. I have a part MC myself and he's a big boy albeit he only has 3 legs. He has many MC characteristics like the fluff, mane, tufts on the ears. What I like about the breed is they don't miaow much. I fostered a Burmese once and got a big shock.

I notice you're in Alaska. I was wondering the other day about when it starts snowing again in Autumn?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very much the Autumn here. The birch trees are turning yellow and its beautiful. (Fall is my favorite time of year.) October used to be generally about the time we get the first snow that actually sticks for a while, but the past few years have been weird. I remember trick-or-treating as a kid, wading through snow to the neighbors' homes. DS has had Halloweens where a coat isn't even needed. (It was actually like Halloween looks in movies!)

DS liked to pretend we had a lynx once we saw how big Sasuke was getting. Ear tufts, big feet.... It sounds like Sasuke might be different from other MCs in talking. When I get home, it's like he saved up his miaows until I walk through the door. He follows me around talking as I start dinner. After about 10-15 minutes, he's finished, goes and lays by the couch to watch. DS says he doesn't do that when he gets home. But, then, DS does kind of the same thing, "Mom! I'm hungry! Today...," Sasuke probably can't get a word in.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Super Congratulations on your Masters Degree!!

And on the Doc Martens!
And on your relationship w/ DS!
Peace,
B.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've missed you!! Woohoo on the Master's & the trip to Japan for DS- that is all phenomenal stuff!! I love that you spoiled yourself in such a magnificent way to celebrate.

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
What I like about the breed is they don't miaow much.
I didn't realize this about them when I first got mine - however, one of mine "talks" non-stop. He will engage in back & forth chatter with us, answering questions, asking his own, lol. If I don't speak to him when I get home within about 10-15 minutes, he starts calling to me from whatever room he's in - Hey, I'm here, how was your day? what's up? He's 26 lbs at last weigh-in & is just enormous. Like a little lion. His brother has the long mane & his height but not his weight - he only ever speaks when he wants something, but when he does he really means whatever he's saying/asking for.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is amazing stuff! Wow. A trip to Japan. Your having a Masters degree. Congratulations! You and yours are accomplishing great things, I hope it continues! Well done!