Notices

Can a person know....?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can a person know....?

Can a person know that they may be bipolar or have a personality disorder? What are the signs and symptoms? Are they textbook?
I feel like I am not normal. Its hard to find a trusted professional in my area.
Currently I am on Wellbutrin XL and have been for 5 years due to various episodes of depression.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was diagnosed bipolar (I prefer to call it manic depression, as 'bipolar' makes me sound like a big magnet) by my wonderful shrink quite a few years ago. He put me on meds for it and they work very well. My highs aren't too high and my lows aren't too low. I see him three times a year to talk and get my meds renewed. He had diagnosed me with depression a long time ago, but added manic depression to it later.

Can you look for a trusted shrink in the next town over? A good shrink is worth his/her weight in gold. Worth the extra travel for a good one.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I didn't care much for the psychiatrists I visited, I felt as though they weren't listening or interested, so I tried a "wellness provider" who turned out to be friendly, honest, and one of the greatest blessings in my recovery. I feel that sometimes professional help is a necessity, if I don't feel right at first I keep looking for the next person who can help me.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Elle1974: I am sorry to hear you've found it difficult to find a trusted professional in your area. You may have already done so - but one idea is to start by reaching out for more information from the professional, who prescribes your Wellbutrin XL.

In the past (until I lived and learned), I'd walked right into the mindset of assuming certain symptoms indicate a diagnosis, I was so sure I was right, lol. Here is a good article dealing with that tendency and what to do about it: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...self-diagnosis
Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

see a doc
support to you
Old 09-10-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
see a doc
support to you
^^^This. Without an officially diagnoses, you won't be able to move forward.

We had seen some signs in one of our boys, that reminded me of my dad's behavior years ago. And I was suspicious that I was for awhile myself.

Now that I know what I am dealing with, I can see the triggers coming on and deal with it better. Not 100%, but better.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle1974 View Post
Can a person know that they may be bipolar or have a personality disorder? What are the signs and symptoms? Are they textbook?
I feel like I am not normal. Its hard to find a trusted professional in my area.
Currently I am on Wellbutrin XL and have been for 5 years due to various episodes of depression.
Any advice?
Thanks.
I highly recommend seeking an appointment with a psychiatrist so you can provide the doctor with your symptoms so he or she can make the diagnosis.

My prior efforts at self-diagnosis (and treatment back before I got clean and sober) seldom ended well.

You may very well not be "normal".

But, if I had to wager a bet, I suspect that you may be treatable.

I have been taking meds from the same psychiatrist for almost 20 years now and they do a good job of keeping me dialed into a high degree of contentment and functionality.

In other words, they make me feel good.

Or, to quote one of my very favorite songwriters, Robert Earl Keen, Jr., "it feels so good to be feeling good again".

That is quite a bit of progress from 30 years ago when I knew that there would likely be an inpatient treatment for addiction issues in my future, but that there could also be a commitment (because I thought I was "going crazy" - with due apologies for the crass diction).

It was quite a relief to learn that both my addiction and my other mental health issues were treatable.

Please keep us posted with your efforts.

If you feel lousy, there is likely a reason for it and there is also very likely a solution (except in very rare cases).
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After 17 Mental Hospitals the latest one june 30 th to July 23 rd and I got soberJune 26th which is got to be for the last time. Why does it have to be the last time because I am going as hard as I can.I'min mania right now and I'm staying sober.