Major breakthrough

Old 09-05-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major breakthrough

Last night I was scrolling through videos when I came across one of 4 dads and their daughters on stage at what appears to be a dance recital. It was so beautiful, and then the tears came.
I realized that I never had a “daddy-daughter dance”. My parents divorced when I was 2, and I saw my dad maybe once a month. I remember that when he showed up to my high school graduation I was actually surprised because I hadn’t talked to him about it at all.
Both of my parents had other things going on with their lives and I always felt less important to them than whatever else was going on. Many times my emotional needs were not met by either of them, and I learned to be self-sufficient from an early age.
Last night it hit me very hard, but then my dog came over and comforted me. It brought me back to the present. I realize that I have always wanted to be the most important thing to my partner and have always been second to something else (in the most recent relationship - alcohol). Instead I should have been making ME the most important thing to MYSELF!
So that’s what I’m now doing.
Growth is hard! I’ve cried an awful lot lately.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mellybug View Post
Last night I was scrolling through videos when I came across one of 4 dads and their daughters on stage at what appears to be a dance recital. It was so beautiful, and then the tears came.
I realized that I never had a “daddy-daughter dance”. My parents divorced when I was 2, and I saw my dad maybe once a month. I remember that when he showed up to my high school graduation I was actually surprised because I hadn’t talked to him about it at all.
Both of my parents had other things going on with their lives and I always felt less important to them than whatever else was going on. Many times my emotional needs were not met by either of them, and I learned to be self-sufficient from an early age.
Last night it hit me very hard, but then my dog came over and comforted me. It brought me back to the present. I realize that I have always wanted to be the most important thing to my partner and have always been second to something else (in the most recent relationship - alcohol). Instead I should have been making ME the most important thing to MYSELF!
So that’s what I’m now doing.
Growth is hard! I’ve cried an awful lot lately.
There is no doubt...you are number one your dog. Always loyal always loving and they dont lie xx
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Growing is hard! Did you ever see yourself doing any of this? Probably not, but look at you go. You are really doing great, not letting those bad memories drag you down. Pat yourself on the back, you are on your way. Hugs!!!!