Notices

Back again....

Old 09-04-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again....

So I joined a few months ago now and was quite serious about stopping drinking. I had been sober for 5 years until 3.5 years ago when I fell off the wagon and slowly the whole downward spiral took me down with it. I was ready a few months ago - or so I thought. Turned out I wasn't.

I admitted it to all, my family, my GP, my employer. It was a shock to many but it was the right start. I was in such a state that I think I was on the verge of a breakdown. Doc signed me off work for a few weeks, just so I could get my head in the right space and to my shock everyone told not to just stop. I got referred to a support agency.

For the past 3 and a bit weeks I have been on a tapering plan. It hasn't always gone brilliantly but I'm now at the stage where I'm ready to stop completely. Went to my therapy this afternoon and had a really good discussion about it. My biggest problem will be when something bad happens, what have a I got to replace it? I am not clear yet on that one. I suddenly realised it won't be there anymore.

So here goes! Any advice received gratefully thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rosie! I'm glad that you're ready to stop drinking.

It really is important to have a plan in place. There will be moments of stress, sadness, or even happiness when the first thing you think of is to take a drink. If you can come up with some ideas to get through those times, it will help you immensely.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing I realized once I stopped drinking was that alcohol was my buddy. Not a really great buddy, but a buddy. It did not console me or make my grief any less when I lost the father I adored. It did not make my divorce less ugly, unpleasant and expensive. I killed a lot of time with it but it didn't improve my life in any way. The feelings it generated were not genuine - I either was too angry or apathetic. I say all this to say, when you ask, what am I going to do? You're going to live better, probably longer, and enjoy it a heck of a lot more once you get all the alcohol out of your system and you're sleeping great and waking up feeling like a new woman again. Life will become manageable, not such a pain in the butt because you will have the energy for it. You are going to be fabulous. That's what you're going to do. You did it before. You can do it again.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Rosie! I have found exercise and mindfulness to be excellent supports when something stressful/bad happens. There are lots of great mindfulness apps, or videos you can find in you tube.

Logging in here, and journaling might also be good supports during those difficult moments.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Rosie,

I'm on my 3rd year and 99.99% sober. Not quite 100%, but I'll take it.

I didn't relapse hard, but I would have well over 3 years of honest living if I didn't have those 2 shots.

Truth will set me free.

But, I don't count days really, I am a non drinker.

My coworker and boss routinely get close to me or question me regarding my quitting.

They can't believe it. That makes quitting even better.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.