Out of the Closet

Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of the Closet

Venting and a question. My ex called tonight. He told me he called rehab today and they took his insurance and will call as soon as they have an open bed. This is the same process as his last admission. In addition, he went to his neighbor's house tonight, a recovering alcoholic, who has been sober for 10 years to let him know he is an alcoholic and is going back to rehab. My ex said he needed to verbalize to make it "real". Ok, don't get this but it's not for me to understand. Isn't the fact that he is drowning himself in alcohol "real"? He also admitted to drinking five bottles of wine a day starting at noon. That was the conversation and we said goodnight. I am glad he has admitted his illness which is different than last week and mentioned rehab. Last week he stance was "I will fix this". Yes, we've all heard that before. At least today, there is discussion of action. Although I will not believe it until he is admitted. Here's my question. He told me he is taking his dog to the kennel while he is in rehab and I did not offer to watch his dog - I did not say a word in response. I love his dog and his dog will be safe but I feel like he needs to take care of all the details on his own. On the other hand, I feel bad for his dog, why should he be locked up in a kennel due to his owner's irresponsible behaviors? His last admission I drove him to rehab and watched his dog. Do I offer to watch the dog? I feel silly even asking this. I guess it's typical Codie traits. This has not changed my decision to move forward. I am staying in the moment and within reality. He is an alcoholic with a HUGE problem HE needs to fix. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NJ, how long will your ex be in rehab?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I honestly would not offer anything. Not to punish either him or the dog,but to protect myself from further harm/involvement. I'd also be very 'on guard' about the reason he felt the 'need' to let you know about his plans. Seems like a manipulation tactic to me and I was VERY GOOD at manipulating others when I was active, especially women. Just be cautious.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too would be very cautious but I understand your concern about the dog and I also think it was a good idea to stand back and let him sort that out.

If he is going to be in rehab for several weeks it might be kind (to the dog) after say, a week, to offer to take him in until the ex is released, with the understanding that he can't be calling every day to see if the "dog is ok". He would have been fine at the kennel and he will be fine with you, no need for him to check up on him.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

The dog may actually enjoy the kennels, mixing with the other dogs. One of my dogs used to rush past me to get inside.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in this boat with watching dogs. It was thrown on me. I know that my ExAH has absolutely no one in his life because he alienated himself from other people. I'm driving 50 miles a day just to feed these dogs and I'm having major surgery tomorrow too. But hey... look at him go! He's in rehab! :insert eyeroll here:

The difference with me though is that I raised these 2 dogs from puppies. It is very inconvienient for me right now because of my surgery. I for one, wouldnt look at you as enabling if you took the dog in because the dog is a casualty of this man's alcoholic world just like we are. It still needs to eat, drink n potty.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I haven’t seen asked or stated is: do you WANT to watch the dog?

I am currently watching my dad’s dog while he is out of state for 3 months. It does change my routine a bit, but since I have a dog of my own it isn’t much of an inconvenience (except he left me with no food for her and no extra money to get some).

The idea that the drunk may call and check up on the dog every day is a manipulation tactic I hadn’t thought of, but I guess I should have. It’s surprising to me how many little tactics A’s can use just to keep in touch with you, but I suppose I shouldn’t be anymore.

What do you think his motivation was to tell you about going to rehab? I no longer trust A’s motivations and question every little thing. “What are they trying to get me to do?”

I would suggest making the decision that feels right for you.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NJ2001.....my first thought is---what is in the best interest of the dog? (providing, of course, that you are able to watch the dog)…..

I do not consider caring for helpless animals as enabling.....
Old 09-04-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess I have a different take on this. My dog goes to doggie daycare, who also does boarding. HE LOVES IT THERE. He is not locked in a kennel. He plays until he cannot move LOL. So, my thought would be to find somewhere like that for said dog to go, give him the suggestion, and back away.

That is just my two cents.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Talk is cheap, actions are what matter. If he's sober in a year, then he's sober. After the dog issue is settled (excellent suggestion to send to doggie daycare/boarding) I'd cut all contact and avoid being pulled back in to the daily drama.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
NJ, how long will your ex be in rehab?
We do not know yet. If the process is the same as the last admission, he will go through detox and the assessment and then determine the length of stay. He is waiting for a bed and was told it may be tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I honestly would not offer anything. Not to punish either him or the dog,but to protect myself from further harm/involvement. I'd also be very 'on guard' about the reason he felt the 'need' to let you know about his plans. Seems like a manipulation tactic to me and I was VERY GOOD at manipulating others when I was active, especially women. Just be cautious.
Will do and thank you!
Old 09-04-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I too would be very cautious but I understand your concern about the dog and I also think it was a good idea to stand back and let him sort that out.

If he is going to be in rehab for several weeks it might be kind (to the dog) after say, a week, to offer to take him in until the ex is released, with the understanding that he can't be calling every day to see if the "dog is ok". He would have been fine at the kennel and he will be fine with you, no need for him to check up on him.
Agreed! Last time they took his phone. I think he was permitted one call a day which was limited.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
The dog may actually enjoy the kennels, mixing with the other dogs. One of my dogs used to rush past me to get inside.
True, maybe.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I'm in this boat with watching dogs. It was thrown on me. I know that my ExAH has absolutely no one in his life because he alienated himself from other people. I'm driving 50 miles a day just to feed these dogs and I'm having major surgery tomorrow too. But hey... look at him go! He's in rehab! :insert eyeroll here:

The difference with me though is that I raised these 2 dogs from puppies. It is very inconvienient for me right now because of my surgery. I for one, wouldnt look at you as enabling if you took the dog in because the dog is a casualty of this man's alcoholic world just like we are. It still needs to eat, drink n potty.
Wow! That is a lot to take on. I agree.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mellybug View Post
One thing I haven’t seen asked or stated is: do you WANT to watch the dog?

I am currently watching my dad’s dog while he is out of state for 3 months. It does change my routine a bit, but since I have a dog of my own it isn’t much of an inconvenience (except he left me with no food for her and no extra money to get some).

The idea that the drunk may call and check up on the dog every day is a manipulation tactic I hadn’t thought of, but I guess I should have. It’s surprising to me how many little tactics A’s can use just to keep in touch with you, but I suppose I shouldn’t be anymore.

What do you think his motivation was to tell you about going to rehab? I no longer trust A’s motivations and question every little thing. “What are they trying to get me to do?”

I would suggest making the decision that feels right for you.
I am laughing at your comment since my therapist voice was in my head after I wrote "what do you want to do"?. I think I will take the dog he has two friends in my home so its really not a big deal.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NJ2001 View Post
I am laughing at your comment since my therapist voice was in my head after I wrote "what do you want to do"?. I think I will take the dog he has two friends in my home so its really not a big deal.
Oh yes, I have no clue what the motivation is. I have given up on trying to apply logic to any of this (sighing).
Old 09-04-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
NJ2001.....my first thought is---what is in the best interest of the dog? (providing, of course, that you are able to watch the dog)…..

I do not consider caring for helpless animals as enabling.....
The best interest of the dog is to stay at my home with my other dogs. He has a fenced backyard and is familar with my home. The kennel stresses him. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

He told me he is taking his dog to the kennel while he is in rehab and I did not offer to watch his dog –
And nor did he ask you.

That was 3 days ago, any new news on the rehab front?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

He did ask yesterday morning. He was admitted yesterday. I will post an update now.