Notices

C-reactive protein.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

C-reactive protein.

I’ve just had my blood test results back from the doctor and thankfully all seems well apart from my C-reactive protein level which doc says is high. They aren’t willing to do anything more just for now as this is only my first bloods after quitting. Does anyone else have any experience of elevated levels and if so, what was the outcome? I understand that it means there is inflammation somewhere in the body and that you cannot find the source just from the test. My doc was quite rushed with giving the results and I didn’t have the time to question it whilst I was there as I was processing all the information being discussed!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have experience with that particular marker. Not sure I've ever had it tested.

I recommend staying away from dr. Google however. On first search it sounds so generic....if you believe everything you read you'll have everything from a heart attack to lupus.

First step is to write down your questions and make sure you speak in depth to your dr. I don't know how long you've been sober but alcohol is crazy inflammatory so just being sober should help. I would think eating right, some exercise, staying hydrated would help as well. Processed foods are very inflammatory so try sticking to whole foods.

No Dr Google!! Talk to your dr. Hang in there
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the calm words of advice. I’m staying away from Dr.Google. Just wondered if anyone had ever had elevated levels which had dropped after a longer period of sobriety. When the test was taken I was 16 days sober after 6 years of drinking nearly every day.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kath50 View Post
I’ve just had my blood test results back from the doctor and thankfully all seems well apart from my C-reactive protein level which doc says is high. They aren’t willing to do anything more just for now as this is only my first bloods after quitting. Does anyone else have any experience of elevated levels and if so, what was the outcome? I understand that it means there is inflammation somewhere in the body and that you cannot find the source just from the test. My doc was quite rushed with giving the results and I didn’t have the time to question it whilst I was there as I was processing all the information being discussed!
Geez...some Dr.'s can be so obtuse or whatever you want to call it. He should have explained it better to you...BUT, patients need to be more assertive in asking questions too. If he seemed in a hurry, I'm sorry....You are paying for the Dr.'s visit, the least he could do was give you an opportunity, but it sounds like he was rushed....I'm sorry hon, what you're going through. Hang in there!!