Notices

The 7 year itch

Old 08-30-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

The 7 year itch

When i first got into sobriety/recovery as i neared the 9 month milestone i remember being warned that for some reason there are quite a few relapses around this time - so i went extra vigilant at that time to ensure i matained my recovery and new shoot of life that was growing before my very eyes. I got through it and to cut a long story short i was also warned about the 5 year itch which i too went extra vigilant to again maintain and ensure my sobriety/recovery. Now that im a tiny bit over 5 years i remember a friend i wont say his name or his recovery time but it was painful and hard to watch it unfold while trying to talk them out of it.

I hear there is a 7 year itch and il make sure i maintain and ensure my recovery there too but i guess the point of this thread is me saying - Never give up always keep trying youl suceed in the end
Old 08-30-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this, and congrats on your recovery! I'm nearing that 9 month mark, so that's a very interesting insight about relapse...I wonder why?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't even fathom 9 months, 5 years, etc. I hope to be there one day. The one day at a time is really working for me, and making it manageable. My twenties have been marred with abuse and torment (a lot of my own making); I want to cross my 30th year sober as all hell and embrace this new life. 4 months until then, one day at a time it is.

Thank you for the reminder!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't believe there are "itches" related to different durations of sober time.

I think any "itch" is more a symptom of general complacency.

Continually and consistency working your program, whatever that is for you, is the best way to avoid any setbacks.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In conversations with long-time sober alcoholics, e.g. my sponsor (30 years sober), recovery never ends. Sobriety, and staying sober is a journey, not a destination. There is no crossing the goal line, or scoring the goal.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
In conversations with long-time sober alcoholics, e.g. my sponsor (30 years sober), recovery never ends. Sobriety, and staying sober is a journey, not a destination. There is no crossing the goal line, or scoring the goal.
It think it is important to note, that though you phrased these statements as definitives , as statements about verifiable 'truths' , they are in fact opinions . Yeah ?
Opinions, like the people who have them , can and do sometimes change
Old 08-30-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Always good to see you on SR Soberwolf and congratulations on 5 years (and a tiny bit!)

I hope one mentiined a 3 year and eight month itch as I noticed I have reached that not very significant milestone today.

We all that our AV is the beast that cannot be killed but for those of you starting out the good news is that it does get a lot easier over time, I don't think anyone would be able to quit if it didn't. That at least has been my experience.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bumping this .. of course I am

Be pro active in recovery use your sober muscles increase slowly like weightlifting little makes a lot and all that

I will never fall or get complacent I'm not itchy either silly term I heard a lot well hope this helps someone somewhere x
Old 12-11-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this!
Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for bumping. I needed to read this today. Not because I am thinking of taking a drink. I am not. But I need to be reminded , especially at this time of year, to stay vigilant. Alcohol is a cunning foe. I am never "cured". I have a daily reprieve contingent on me working my programme to the best of my ability and beig in fit spiritual condition *this applies to me and my recovery*.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
This is great. Totally true for this alcoholic.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for this.

When I was in my early 20s there was this fabulous neighbor across the street. She hired me to clean her house, and I was friendly with her son. She was much older than me, and I thought she was very interesting and very cool. She was in recovery. Her son told me horror stories about how she used to chase her kids with the vacuum cleaner while blacked out. When I knew her, she was charming, interesting, smart, successful, and a creative and skilled cook whose brain I picked whenever given the chance.

I didn’t see her for years after I moved away, and when I was in my early 30s I dropped by a dinner party at her house. I was secretly drinking alcoholically at that point but not in dire shape yet. She was drinking wine. I was shocked and asked her about it. Curtly she responded that she was fine and that was that.

She died several years later, of congestive heart failure. I don’t know if drinking contributed to it but it was sad to me that she went downhill so fast, and our last interaction was so tense.

I’m grateful for her presence in my life, and what her experience showed me. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I don't believe there are "itches" related to different durations of sober time.
I'm skeptical about time line itches too. I don't think there are any actual studies on them.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Thanks for this.

When I was in my early 20s there was this fabulous neighbor across the street. She hired me to clean her house, and I was friendly with her son. She was much older than me, and I thought she was very interesting and very cool. She was in recovery. Her son told me horror stories about how she used to chase her kids with the vacuum cleaner while blacked out. When I knew her, she was charming, interesting, smart, successful, and a creative and skilled cook whose brain I picked whenever given the chance.

I didn’t see her for years after I moved away, and when I was in my early 30s I dropped by a dinner party at her house. I was secretly drinking alcoholically at that point but not in dire shape yet. She was drinking wine. I was shocked and asked her about it. Curtly she responded that she was fine and that was that.

She died several years later, of congestive heart failure. I don’t know if drinking contributed to it but it was sad to me that she went downhill so fast, and our last interaction was so tense.

I’m grateful for her presence in my life, and what her experience showed me. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks and great story.

Reminds me of the dismal success rate for alcoholics in recovery because after a few years we tend to "Rest on our Laurels".

Laurels are our past successes/ accomplishments

Meetings - we stop going
Sponsor - we stop calling
Steps - we stop living by their principles
Service - we stop trying to be of maximum service/ help others
Higher Power - we stop seeking His will for us

We take 1 drink and that leads to a drunk!

Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am three weeks away from four years of sobriety and I truly feel approaching recovery through a lens of making healthy physical and emotional choices is why I am here. I am active in my recovery. I read and post here daily. I find time for walks almost every day, usually outdoor. and I work really hard at remaining in the present moment. Mindfulness may have been the greatest contributor to my recovery.

I agree with everyone above who said complacency is the thing to be very cautious of.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My app says 1 year smoke free, it must be metric, because I am sure it is the 16th...
In quitting smoking they call them the icky threes, 3 months, 6 months, 9 etc., that you will find cravings sneaking back. Of course this becomes a chicken or the egg conversation because would I feel those things, if I didn't read about the icky threes.
So, is there a 7 year itch? I think there is a progression in recovery, relationships etc., that certain things happen at certain predictable times. There is also manipulation of numbers to encourage behaviour. So is it an absolute, of course not, absolutes do not exist, is there a probability, potentially. Is it a manipulative statistic because at the 7 year mark AA or SMART or whomever needs those people to return as successful participants to further their reach and scope, who know, probably not, I don't believe most recovery programs have any nepharious intents. However we have seen it in religion and health.
At the end of the day, thoughts and feelings are just that, invisible battles. We've already won the most important one, in putting down the alcohol or drug, we can be resilient against this one, if we tell ourselves we can.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's awesome, Soberwolf! I haven't found any 'seven year itch' and have no desire to drink but as always, vigilance is the price of sobriety!
Old 12-11-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
waking down

I don't know about an itch, but I get a tickle once in a while. I'll be six years later this month. The tickle I'm describing is basically the voice trying to tell me I wasn't so bad off and it's been a long time and I'm recovered and could drink or use in moderation if I decided to have a beer or a glass of wine. But meditation has taught me that I am not my thoughts, and that I can allow thoughts to happen and just sit here and do nothing about it. I don't have to act on thoughts or feelings. And then I remember all the reasons I love being sober - feel better, healthier, loving mornings, more disciplined, having tons of fun without it, feeling good about myself, increasing in wisdom, can drive anywhere at any time, increased respect from others, from myself, the money I save and can spend on better things and experiences...the list goes on. So, tickle me silly, and I'll just sit there. I've learned to itch, even, and not feel a need to scratch. It's just old wiring trying to gain my attention. No big whoop. Not listening can be a skill, too.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm two months away from four years of sobriety. I remain vigilant. I never want to go back to the way I was.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am coming up on 7 years this Jan (wow how did that happen so quickly!)

Rarely I get the voice, but it’s what you choose to do next that makes the difference. These days it’s automatic for me to double down on my recovery instead of taking a drink - I think those are the recovery muscles activating I agree that recovery is a practice.

Figuring out what the urge ‘is really about’ helped me get to Day 2, and still works for me now

I’m glad that you have fond memories of your neighbor - I’m sure remembering her sober is how she would like to be remembered.