Notices

Heart Palpitations

Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heart Palpitations

So I use to be a avid drug user. I smoked weed heavy. Was on and off on pain pills and other drugs. Last year I got heavy on the pills and decided to go mix it with meth. Well it screwed me up I ended up in the hospital with my potassium dropped and high heart rate. It scared me enough I quit everything but weed cold turkey. Few months pass I kept having these heart palpitations. It’d start as dizzy feelings and then heart palpitations and violent shakes along with feeling cold. Then I stopped using weed after that. Still had episode every now and then. I don’t feel the same anymore. I still have frequent chest pains and dizzy spells. I do have a high caffeine and cigarette in take I’m sure that doesn’t help but you figure after being a year sober from substance abuse of drugs and over 7 to 8 months from marijuana I’d feel better. Anyone ever go through this? I’m 32 I don’t want to die or live a painful life. It’s been ruled out by panic attacks but I don’t see that it could be this severe or happen still a year later.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'd suggest you see your doctor about this if it's bothering you so much.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome! I'd suggest you see your doctor about this if it's bothering you so much.
I have seen many doctors about it and all my test come back fine. I’ve never had panic attacks before or anxiety and that’s what they rule it out as. I feel there’s more to it.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

See a doctor, you may have high blood pressure and need medication. Can't hurt to be seen and get some blood work done! I hope all is okay!!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry, didn't see the previous post. Have you seen sen ER Drs or a family physician?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity18 View Post
See a doctor, you may have high blood pressure and need medication. Can't hurt to be seen and get some blood work done! I hope all is okay!!
I’ve had blood work done before in a ER and they tell me my blood pressure is fine it’s highest was 152/94 and they said wasn’t bad. All my blood work has came back ok and usually rule it out as panic attacks or anxiety attacks but I don’t stay that stressed out I have a pretty decent life. Unless it’s subconsciously happening but they give me two weeks worth of Ativan and that’s it nobody really wants to deal with it I feel in the medical field.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity18 View Post
Sorry, didn't see the previous post. Have you seen sen ER Drs or a family physician?
Yeah everytime I go to my regular doctor they tell me everything is good. They put me on cartia and take as needed when it happens but it doesn’t really help all the way. I haven’t used in a year and I still have these pains in my chest and feelings of dizziness. And they just happen when they want.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like an anxiety attack. I used to get those and they can feel awful. If your doctor and test results say you're good, I'd try not to worry about it.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Sounds like an anxiety attack. I used to get those and they can feel awful. If your doctor and test results say you're good, I'd try not to worry about it.
I never had them till after the overdose and now they are frequently from severe to just small feelings every day. Can the overdose be the cause? Even a year later of being sober?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you see a cardiologist? They can have you wear an event monitor for 30 days and that will give your cardiologist information about the type of palpitations you're haveing and will let them decide on how to move forward. You should be able to call your primary care doctor to get a referral.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Have you see a cardiologist? They can have you wear an event monitor for 30 days and that will give your cardiologist information about the type of palpitations you're haveing and will let them decide on how to move forward. You should be able to call your primary care doctor to get a referral.
Yea I’ve already went through that. They couldn’t find anything.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

What you are describing happens to me when I have low mineral levels in my blood. I am now on B12 injections because it helps the platelets retain the minerals. CBC and platelet count done every 3 months. It sounds like you should be having your blood tested on a regular basis, so definitely see a licensed medical professional who can order a series of blood tests.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
What you are describing happens to me when I have low mineral levels in my blood. I am now on B12 injections because it helps the platelets retain the minerals. CBC and platelet count done every 3 months. It sounds like you should be having your blood tested on a regular basis, so definitely see a licensed medical professional who can order a series of blood tests.
I’ve had potassium issues before but they fluctuate, my doctor doesn’t do regular blood test she’s dead set on anxiety but I hardly stress and these happen in times I’m not stressed at all. Like during sleep or just resting
Old 08-28-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Originally Posted by Hoop86 View Post
I’ve had potassium issues before but they fluctuate, my doctor doesn’t do regular blood test she’s dead set on anxiety but I hardly stress and these happen in times I’m not stressed at all. Like during sleep or just resting
Maybe time for a second opinion. I’d be apprehensive about any provider not willing to order a simple blood test - it tells them so much about what is or is not going on.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
Maybe time for a second opinion. I’d be apprehensive about any provider not willing to order a simple blood test - it tells them so much about what is or is not going on.
They’ve done them before and all my heart test as well come back fine. So I don’t really understand why they just rule it out as anxiety especially when they’ve given me hundreds of pills but only benzo’s work and won’t prescribe them to me especially now they now I’ve been clean as I’ve said I honestly don’t feel it’s panic attacks or anxiety because I’ve never had any of these issues till after that one overdose. My primary doctor says my heart, bp and stuff is fine and also my cardiologist too. So I feel I’m at a fork in the road because I don’t like these feelings being constantly even if the are small. I feel weekly after a year something should have changed by now
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

So have you ever spoken to a therapist or a counselor to find out if it is indeed anxiety? As a diagnosed anxiety sufferer ( both GAD and health ) I can tell you with 100% certainty that anxiety can manifest itself as physical symptoms that mimic other conditions. Certainly you have had a lot of testing and if they doctors are telling you there is nothing physically wrong then it would make sense to me to at least explore the anxiety possibility.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like your drs have been thorough. Do yourself a favor and go off the caffeine. Actually do yourself a bigger favor and go off the cigarettes because they are killers. But the caffeine could be part of the problem. I know as I've gotten older my body is more sensitive. Maybe you've developed a sensitivity to caffeine. Sports drinks, Red Bull, Monster, some of the darker brewed coffees. I can't drink them any more than I can drink alcohol. Try eliminating and see if that helps. Just a suggestion, but the heart palps can be scary. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Recovery isn't only to do with blood and body tissue. It's also to do with thinking and emotions. That's why a lot of us find working a program of recovery helps. When I looked at the 12 steps of AA, for example, i was confused. Alcohol was only even mentioned in step 1. The other 11 don't mention if at all. The thing is, stopping drinking or taking drugs is just the first step. When I'd stopped my alcoholic drinking, I was still left with my alcoholic thinking and emotions, and they were the root cause of my panic attacks, anxiety and sleepless nights. There wasn't any doctors test in the world that was gonna pick that stuff up, and I sure as hell wasn't going to start talking to any doc about it.

Have you read about PAWS at all? If not then this article may be enlightening.... https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Hope you find something to add into your recovery plan that helps, and that you feel better soon.

BB
Old 08-29-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats on your 7months clean!

I went through some heart palipitatuons, though not as symtomatic as you describe. I did a 24hour holter study, kept a diary of symptoms and the time they occured. The study in my case showed some irregularities that werent dangerous (i dont remember the acronym but it doesnt matter) at the time i journaled symptoms. If you werent symptomatic during your test, its possible they missed the cause?

Alcohol is a neurotoxin and i imagine meth can be much worse. I find the more distance i put between me and my drinking, the more my drinking related problems fade. Keep following up with your dr until you have an answer, but have hope things can get better
Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hoop too much caffeine gives them to me. I will have them all day and into the night. i'm limited to 1 normal sized cup of coffee a day. More makes my heart feel "fluttery". Also it didn't start till I starting drinking heavily while on adderall. I think I did some kind of damage.