Notices

Need help detoxing

Old 08-26-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help detoxing

Please help. I'm trying to detox and need support.
How long does it take
Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello magnolia. Acute withdrawals ( the initial stage ) can last anywhere from a few days to a week or more. If you are afraid you might have severe symptoms don't be afraid to ask a doctor for help. Have you ever quit before?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a lot of that depends on how long one has been drinking. in GENERAL the body needs about 72 hours minimum to detox to the alcohol. one needs to be very careful especially if detoxing alone......things can go wrong in many ways. it is wise to keep your phone handy and charged, just in case you need to call for medical assistance.

REST is essential. WATER. Food when able. some people find that quitting isn't nearly as bad as they feared. many experience cold/flu like symptoms.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Magnolia - none of us are doctors but for me it usually took anything from a few days to a week to feel better.

My advice is don't push yourself too hard physically, keep hydrated, and eat regularly - preferable 'good' healthy food.

Of course if you feel concerned or worried about how you feel, I think the only way to go then is see a dr.

D
Old 08-26-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No doctors

They treat you like trash down here.

They just think you're drug seeking

No empathy whatsoever.

If they think you're bad enough they'll Baker Act me and I am alone with my dogs
Old 08-26-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone
Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

is all the alcohol out of your house? not a drop on the property?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
is all the alcohol out of your house? not a drop on the property?
Not a drop
Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good girl! woman, female person!!!
this is a time to be very gentle with yourself. you are doing a hard thing, but a very GOOD thing. and you only have to do this ONCE....you never HAVE to drink again.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Magnolia! Big hugs to you. I am on day five and haven't felt well all week, but I think part of that is I have a cold. What everyone has said here will help. I napped so much this week! Also, I eat ice cream and candy and drink chocolate milk and juice. Just for now, I won't keep that up.
And reading. If you don't have a good book on recovery, there is a reading list on here, I think it's at the top under sticky notes? Not sure, but also you can watch youtube videos about recovery. There's one I love called Relapse Prevention, I'm sure there's more than one but if you like the idea of watching let me know and I'll find the link of the one I like so much.
Mainly I've just been really easy on myself. I quit on a Wednesday so had to work all week, a couple of the days were pretty tough, but I just came home, showered, got in my PJ's and got on here. Snacked and read and watched t.v. No house work, no bringing work home.
I had really bad headaches and it worried me, I was afraid I was having a stroke or aneurism. But, I didn't.
The first two days I had a lot of bad emotions. Scared and a feeling of doom. SR helped with that.
It's so sad that your medical people are mean there! I can't imagine. My Dr. is overworked and distracted. I think I could tell him to prescribe anything and he would. Thank goodness I'm not looking for drugs or I think I would be well supplied! But, he's respectful and his staff is also. What are you going to do if you start feeling like you're going into D.T.'s?
I am so looking forward to feeling better and I don't ever want to have to go through this again.
I hope so much that your next couple of days are easy. Big hugs, and I hope to hear from you in the August class!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Magnolia, we're here for you. I do know how hard this is. And, being alone is scary. Try to rest, hydrate yourself and listen to your body. I hope that you will consider calling a doctor if you're concerned.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((Magnolia))

I felt pretty awful the first three days. I kept telling myself, every day sober was one day closer to feeling better and reclaiming my life.

Please keep posting ... we're here to support you.

How are you feeling?
Old 08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Magnolia. How many days have you been sober now? Checking in to see how you are feeling. It can be very difficult the first few days and week with the physical symptoms. It takes more time after that to get through the psychological emotional symptoms. It helped me just knowing what to expect when I was going through this, and to know that as long as I didn’t drink at all, it would also get better and eventually end. But if you are having severe withdrawals, maybe still consider going to doctor, ER or whatever to get help? It’s hard to say because I don’t know how bad you feel and I don’t know a lot about severe symptoms. But we are here to suppprt you either way.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you buried deep, dont do it alone.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Detox usually lasts 3 to 5 days. The first three days were the hardest for me. Make this your last day one. Don't drink again no matter what. It's hard, but you only have to go thru it once.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Magnolia....due to the drug epidemic where I am the ER nurses and doctors have little patience for an alcoholic. I tried quitting a few years ago and had a seizure four days in...ambulance to the hospital...discharged a few hours later...and took the bus home. Not even a referral for help...

There is a six week wait for a medicated detox bed. I've gone that route a couple of times. This time I tapered myself down to where I was at one drink a day...I haven't had anything for 11 days now...no seizures or withdrawal to speak of...a bit of trouble sleeping early on...but I expected that.

I understand your reluctance to get medical help. If you can...get it.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The first day is the worst of it. At least for me. Just know that it’s your body detoxing which it needs to do and once you’re through the first 3 days (which for me, each day got easier and easier) you’ll feel a lot better and able to focus on what you want to do when you’re free.

That said, if you sense something is utterly wrong, crazy shakes, hallucinations, etc. definitely think about help.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Magnolia. I went to a county facility for detox and it was spartan but clean, medically supervised and low-cost. Maybe there is a place like that near where you live? I understand about doctors treating you badly; that has happened to me before, but your life is so important and withdrawal can be very dangerous. When I was at detox I had seizures and had to be transferred to hospital where I spent a week. Don't hesitate to call for help.
Staying hydrated is important--drinking Gatorade-type drinks with electrolytes helps. Taking B vitamins is a good idea, since alcohol depletes them from our bodies. Try to eat something-soup or crackers perhaps.
Wishing you all the best. It's hard but you never have to go through this again.