Healing is possible

Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Healing is possible

I relate so much to this article!!

https://blog.healingwell.com/2012/09...c-illness.html

I'm on a different path of injury/illness and healing. The domino effect of this family disease of alcoholism has token huge chunks of my life, including my health. There are many ways I feel his words to my core. Healing and miracles are possible.

I'm rebuilding my life, stronger than ever, one day at a time.

Being brought to and through my fears, weaknesses and false beliefs. All these keep turning to dust that blows away with winds of change.

I'm walking stronger, speaking my truth, finding my authentic self and increasing my stamina and speed.

#lifeisgood
Old 08-26-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is very positive and inspiring! Thank you for sharing it
Old 08-28-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

"I just went with my gut and said yes! I did not know how to prepare, but I figured I could learn along the way. (Which by the way, is a great way to approach business and life. If given a big challenge and your gut says, “Yes!” do it. You will learn what you need to know along the way.)"
I love this!

The longer version:

"A little over a year ago, a friend invited me to run the U.S. Air Force Half Marathon with her. I had never done anything like that, even though I have always been interested in fitness. Without thinking too much about it, I just went with my gut and said yes! I did not know how to prepare, but I figured I could learn along the way. (Which by the way, is a great way to approach business and life. If given a big challenge and your gut says, “Yes!” do it. You will learn what you need to know along the way.)

Why this is a “miracle”

In this day and age of sick care, rather than health care, it is a wonder anyone recovers from anything. To go from severe, debilitating fibromyalgia and a host of other coexisting conditions such as depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue, IBS, PTSD, migraines, infertility and morbid obesity to vibrant health is in and of itself a “miracle.”

To go on to stay recovered from all of these supposedly incurable illnesses, live a great life raising my family and running a business, and then train and finish in a very challenging physical feat, is indeed rather unheard of, another “miracle.”

Starting Out

When I started training for a half marathon, I couldn’t run the length of the block, much less around it. I started out by walking briskly. Then another friend told me about an app called Couch to 5K (available for iPhone and Android devices). It is a nine-week walk and jog program to train for a 5K race.

At first, I could only do about half of the recommended running time and all of the walking time. I stayed on Week 1 for about three weeks!

To make it more enjoyable and productive, I took my dog, Annie, with me. I did have to teach her how to “heel” so she wouldn’t yank my arm off, but she worked hard to learn what to do. We both got exercise and we were both calmer during the day. Win-win!

Even though it took me quite a bit longer than the nine weeks, about fifteen, to get to the point where I could run three miles in around thirty minutes, I did do it! I worked the program at my own pace, which made it more effective than setting unreasonable goals ."

"One of the best t shirts I saw was 'Know your limits – then DESTROY them!'"
Old 08-28-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Inspired, I just came in from a short walk/jog. Mostly quick walking. Started and ended with shavasana (restorative yoga pose) laying on the grass and breathing deeply.

At the 2nd recovery center family week I went to, they had a class covering our health. They had statistics of family members often having worse health problems than the alcoholic. That's definitely true in my case, even down to liver and kidney issues!

<edit>

Light bulb moment:

I keep getting hit by random moods, symptoms, whatever that I kept feeling like I should be through already. Having posted this, then reading about PAWS in Newcomers this feels very much like what I'm going through. Giving up so many of my codie habits was like giving up my drugs.

I've recognized PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) with the alcoholic. I didn't think to of it applying to me -- until now.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Umm, to clarify, my codie habits were my drugs.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Codie habits are so hard to give up! Recognising them in the first place is important. Changing them is the hard part!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

Glenjo, hang in there! It really does/can get easier!

When I see the results of letting go of what's not helping me, it eventually becomes a good habit to simply let go and keep moving forward with good things.