Notices

Reading my first posts and reflecting

Old 08-26-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading my first posts and reflecting

Hello kind people. Today i had a craving ...trigger stress . However i drank water and managed to stay on the right path. I am spending time here when i feel at risk. I read my old posts. How much i learnt through error and mistake and it is still very hard. There was good post that we want fast miracles ... forgetting it will take time until we feel better. If i cannot sleep i read here . I m grateful today that i stayed sober. Thank You SR x D
Old 08-26-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job getting through the craving, Allishope!! I have found reading on SR to help me with cravings too.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is awesome! I love to hear that. Good job on working through that stress; that is a wonderful achievement. Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Great job Alishope. I found reading on SR to be extremely helpful in dispelling cravings. If they're bad cravings and I feel I might cave, rereading my past posts will usually drive them away. Of course, posting here first and waiting for a reply always works. .
Old 08-26-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks ... i read a lot today and keep on sober. Read stories of people who stopped in their forties or fifties loosing everything and sobriety helped them build up from scratch. My each relapse was n
Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ... i read a lot today and keep on sober. Read stories of people who stopped in their forties or fifties loosing everything and sobriety helped them build up from scratch. My each relapse was not accepting changes and not understanding process properly. As i was so spoiled and had it all .... yes it took me couple of months to accept this golden girl s gone... but there is a hope for integrated sober wiser mature woman. So i lost it all ... some things through co dependence ... some for lack of awerness but most through alcohol... as alcohol made me ill... i could deal with work burn out ... why i had to drink ... ehhh it was easiest way and thought temporarly coping strategy. 3 years of my active binging ... sober ... lapse super healthy vicious wheel ..from 42 to 45 took toil and progressed so fast. .. So now when i reached some stage of acceptance , hope and commitment , I drink water if any silly thoughts comes . I remind myself why i quit and worst expierience and i might be broken but sober and respecting myself at least. Now i do staff on relapse prevention before relapse and 24 /7 . Today sober and read a lot here and even first time used chat . Thank you all.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on facing down the beast! I will join in the chorus and agree that when one thinks a little drink would be nice long 'bout now that posting here and reading -- reading what other people have/are struggling with and the misery of hellacious hangovers, guilt, regret, shame, etc., -- usually sets me back on track. I remember why I really and truly don't want to go down that road anymore. Good luck to you today. I will join you in not having a drink.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
Congratulations on facing down the beast! I will join in the chorus and agree that when one thinks a little drink would be nice long 'bout now that posting here and reading -- reading what other people have/are struggling with and the misery of hellacious hangovers, guilt, regret, shame, etc., -- usually sets me back on track. I remember why I really and truly don't want to go down that road anymore. Good luck to you today. I will join you in not having a drink.
brilliant Branches i like the phrase joining in not drinking .... or joining in drinking just water. Keep in touch and all folks stay safe x
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you allishope, it sounds like what you are doing is working well. Stress is a big trigger for me too and I find that I need to practice managing my stress everyday for it not to become overwhelming.

I'm a bit nervous to read over old posts but I've been thinking about it! Challenging denial with our own words. Thanks for posting xx
Old 08-26-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Good for you allishope, it sounds like what you are doing is working well. Stress is a big trigger for me too and I find that I need to practice managing my stress everyday for it not to become overwhelming.

I'm a bit nervous to read over old posts but I've been thinking about it! Challenging denial with our own words. Thanks for posting xx
Gabe thank you ... i m a bit getting to know people here by names and personalities. It is so good. One thing i love human to human connection. Yes i joined here need to check but not longer than two months but even i see how much i ve been growing since first post. Today was my SR day i spent whole day reading and posting as weather horrid... freezing showers , dull whole day. It was a good day though . Gabe about managing stress you are so right ... it is to be mindfull 24 /7... hugs x D
Old 08-26-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

What a great post. It’s wonderful the way you’re utilizing the forums to beat your cravings. Keep it up !
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Allishope and others

Monday morning here 06:00am

It seems the big problem with all of us , is how to manage stress.
Quote from a book I'm reading:
According to Gabor Mate,MD, in his book In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts
"people need three things for addiction to occur:
a susceptible organism, a drug with addictive potential
and stress"
And then further on:
"There are countless stressors in lifee, and we can't avoid them all. But psychologist Bruce Alexander has found evidence that the most common stressor that causes addiction is the basic desire for connection, something many of us seem to be missing"
This is why SR has become so important to me , because here we can connect and share and feel like part of a community/fellowship/family

Have a non-blue Monday xx
Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes I read my very first post here and am reminded of how far I've come. It makes me want to stay sober. Waking up feeling good never gets old.