Notices

10 days sober!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days sober!

My backstory. I'm 40, always loved drinking since my college days, it was always my release and stress reliever. I was a weekend drinker, never really touched booze during the week up until 7-8 years ago when I'd have 2-3/night.

A couple years later this became 6-7/night and for the last 2-3 years its been 10-12/day, even some morning drinking and much worse on the weekends. I kept my drinking hidden almost always from everyone around me, it definitely caused issues with my wife from a trust perspective.
I never really felt like I had a problem as I could easily go 3-4 days without a drink, no withdrawal symptoms of any kind, I always felt like I wanted to drink, not that I had to. I have a very addictive personality so that definitely has an impact.

I finally had enough and decided a couple Sundays ago while drinking that this was my last day, I was sick of feeling like crap all the time and knew I'd put off quitting long enough. I was going to go back on my nutrition plan eating completely healthy foods and hit the gym hard. I had my last beer Sunday night, Monday morning I woke up feeling like crap but I felt like my mindset had completely changed, I didn't want a beer at all, in fact for the first 3-4 days I rarely even thought about it, the only time I did think about it was driving by the store that I usually went to for it. No withdrawal symptoms at all.
Days 5-7 I thought about it more but as soon as I distracted myself with something else the thought went away.
Today is day 10, I feel fantastic, no withdrawal symptoms other than a bit of trouble getting to sleep. I'm more motivated to do everything! I'm down 8 pounds and am loving life. I don't miss beer at all, I can't imagine ever going back to it!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on ten days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

That's awesome stampy. Keep it up!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so great that you have had minimal thoughts
Sounds like you have a plan to distract yourself when the thought does appear, which is super fantastic!

Do you have a plan of recovery?

Blessings,
DC
Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have a set in stone recovery plan at this point but I'm open to suggestions. I'm just going day to day but I'm really not having any major urges or thoughts about it so all in all its going very well.

I think I'm lucky that even though I have been drinking I've also been going to a crossfit gym for the last 4 years 4-5 times per week and eating decently so I'm still in decent shape. I'm immersing myself in the gym and pushing harder than I ever did and really focusing on my nutrition, I think the combination of these 2 things is making this whole thing easier as I feel great are really energized. I feel like if I drink I'm going to ruin these things, I'm really just focusing on the positives and going with it. The owner of my gym is also my nutritionist and she talks to me about my nutrition and workouts daily (I haven't told her about the drinking yet) but I told her 10 days ago to hold me accountable for the eating and workouts so I also have her pushing me in the right direction.
I've got a goodbye happy hour party for a friend this friday at a bar, I can't even fathom having a drink there nor do I want one at all. I've also found that sparkling water with a lemon is a good substitute for beer, it tastes good and I think subconsciously it gives me the ritual of having a drink in my hand without the negatives.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats on 10 days stampy!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on ten days Stampy! I'm glad you were able to quit with so few withdrawal symptoms and your life still going pretty well! Protect the life you have now and don't go back!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job Stamp. Similar trajectory, though I've tried and failed to quit many times until now.

Welcome to SR. Remember to be vigilant in listening out for the AV/drinking thoughts. Check in here often and let us know how you are doing. Congrats on 10 days.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Stampy, keep it up!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow Stampy.
Your story really resonated with me. Very similar backstory.
I’m a little more spooked about it all than you, though. I’ve mentioned earlier that in the past, I relied too heavily on my commitment and focus on health/fitness. I’d progress super well until I got injured or triggered with a tire fire at work, or just grew complacent, bored, or whatever.... Folks here strongly recommend a plan. I know in the past I’d think I did not need one, until I did and it was too late and I’d be starting over.
That notwithstanding, Congratulations on 10 days!!!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats Stampy on 10 days. Looking forward to seeing you on the threads.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear things are going well so far Stampy

D
Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations on 10 days.
Stay vigilant.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On day 12 and things are going great.

I don't really have formal plan yet, not sure I ever will but have taken a few steps as reminders to myself to stay strong. I put a picture of my wife and our dogs on my desk right next to my monitor at work to remind myself that I'm not just doing this for me but for them as well. I bought a bracelet that I've been wearing for the last 12 days, just a simple thing to remind me to stay strong and not give in. I'm going to see a therapist next week, probably just 1-2 times per month going forward but I think that will also help.
I've had a few thoughts of having a beer over the last couple days but have been able to get the thoughts out of my head very quickly, I've found that keeping myself busy really helps. Its amazing what you can get done around the house and at work when you're not hungover or when you're not being a lazy unmotivated drunk lol.
We had guests over for dinner last night who brought a bottle of wine. I had no issues at all, I mean I've got to get used to being around alcohol in social situations and being ok with it. I had no desire at all which was great.
I'm also down another couple pounds and have been told by several people that I look great which certainly makes me really happy.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't really have formal plan yet, not sure I ever will
I recommend it.
IMO its like walking alone into the Amazon without a map without one.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On to day 17 and still feeling great. I saw a counsellor yesterday and am going to see her every 2 weeks for the next few months at least until I'm confident with everything, I know this is a forever fight though and there will always be battles.
I did have an urge this weekend which are the hardest days. There is usually a thought trigger like doing a couple hours of yard work where before I would automatically drink during that. Instead I grab a mineral water as a substitute and to fulfill the need to drink something and have a bottle in my hand. Its good that the thoughts go away immediately and don't come back.
I'm really enjoying hanging out with my wife and dogs sober, I feel like my life was a mess just a few weeks ago and now I have my crap together. I've been very honest with my wife and myself about this and really can't see myself drinking again.
I was at a birthday party this weekend for a friend and there were coolers of beer and most people were drinking and I had no desire at all which was great.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awesome Stampy!!! I'm on day 13 and feel the same way.....fantastic!!!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good gong Stamoy and Patterson too!!

I definitely agree with Dee that a plan of action and having specific tools to help with cravings, events and places and people that make us anxious or such, and generally handling daily life well are vital to sobriety.

Lots of good info on here.

Stick with us!