Notices

I feel like a failure

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like a failure

I was doing great. I had 4 days, which was a lot to me. I went out with friends last Saturday and haven't stopped drinking since. I do this everytime 😖 I'm working right now and drinking vodka. I fear one day my job will find out and fire me. I need my job. I have failed myself, my boyfriend and my kids. I'm not in a good place right now. I want to stop but don't at the same time. When I try to stop, my brain convinces me I'm going to die from withdraw(I rely too much on google). I just don't know what to do, I feel trapped.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Serenity! Withdrawal can be a danger, yes. But keeping on drinking (which can also be deathly) can't be the solution, can it? Could you go to a clinic to detox under medical supervision? Or maybe talk to your doctor what their opinion is?
Old 08-22-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been there myself.

I would go to an urgent care after work and be completely honest, and they'll be able to help you get through the next few days safely.

I would strongly encourage you to refrain from drinking at work.

Not only can you cause yourself embarrassment, which may threaten your employment, but worse, you may cause your employer embarrassment, and that could threaten your employability.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work from home and I'm on the phone. Sadly, I've been able to hide it pretty well. I had gastric bypass surgery over a year ago so I can't drink a whole lot at one time. But just a little gets me wasted. I think I can detox at home again. I can't check in anywhere. I have three kids and my boyfriend travels for work, I have to be here. I just need to change my mindset. That's what I need help with. I need to attend some meetings.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Continuing drinking is not the solution, you are correct...
Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Serenity18-- urgent care centers aren't like ER's or medical detoxes. You don't "check in." Whenever I've visited, I've walked in, signed in, waited briefly, then met with the physician. It's a quick, cost-effective, and efficient way to ensure that you're safe. You can certainly find an hour of your time I think.

Meetings are a good idea, but first things first.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been on Myfitnesspal for many years and this is a common issue with bypass patients or anyone who uses food as a soothing thing...the substitution of one addiction/coping tool with another.

Your surgical team will have knowledge of this issue, can you set up some counseling? This is super common to switch between food and alcohol and back and forth. It's still (and always) about finding ways to quiet the inner voice that tells you to put something in your mouth to ease emotions or stress. If the food is out - well....

Alternately, I found journaling about things to be really helpful when I was trying to get my food issues under control. It might not be as easy to journal when emotions are blunted by alcohol, but keep posting here - that will help.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Serenity18-- urgent care centers aren't like ER's or medical detoxes. You don't "check in." Whenever I've visited, I've walked in, signed in, waited briefly, then met with the physician. It's a quick, cost-effective, and efficient way to ensure that you're safe. You can certainly find an hour of your time I think.

Meetings are a good idea, but first things first.
You're right, I have a break between 12 and 4. If I can drive, I'll go to an urgent care to get some help. Thank you
Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I've been on Myfitnesspal for many years and this is a common issue with bypass patients or anyone who uses food as a soothing thing...the substitution of one addiction/coping tool with another.

Your surgical team will have knowledge of this issue, can you set up some counseling? This is super common to switch between food and alcohol and back and forth. It's still (and always) about finding ways to quiet the inner voice that tells you to put something in your mouth to ease emotions or stress. If the food is out - well....

Alternately, I found journaling about things to be really helpful when I was trying to get my food issues under control. It might not be as easy to journal when emotions are blunted by alcohol, but keep posting here - that will help.
I was drinking before the surgery, it just limits me now. I like to write just haven't done it in a long time. I need to
Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity18 View Post
I was drinking before the surgery, it just limits me now. I like to write just haven't done it in a long time. I need to
Okay, got it. My point was that food and alcohol are similar addictions.

They are based in faulty self-talk, and in habit.

You can break these habits, but it may take professional counseling.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. Thank you!